General discussions about our craft and industry.
By LLeeT
Any one know where single faced basting tape can be found? I saw some in a video. 1" wide. Used for french seams. I may be using the wrong name since I can not find it.
Thanks for any help.
By LLeeT
Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo sewing french seams and he used 1" strip of material to hold down the seam allowance down while he sewed the french seams. It wasn't under the seam allowance it was on top.
By midwest sew
I have used twill tape for french seams. Fabric Supply sells it as: French seam reinforcing twill tape. Cheep Trims, is a good place to get it ,but they have a minimum order amount.
By LLeeT
I have been using the twill. I was trying to find some that had adhesive on one side. No biggy. I will just keep using basting tape along with the twill.
By Ron Henningsen
What Cechflo usually does is glue down, using normal contact adhesive by applying it with a small brush, the seam allowance. He then as you mention will use twill tape over the glued down seam allowance. What I sometimes do is use a spray can of adhesive on the exposed seam allowance and one side of the twill taps. I have taken a piece of shin cardboard (picture framing matting board, and cut a 3/4" slit in it. I place that over the folded over seam allowance and give it a quick shot of adhesive from the spray can. This keeps it from getting over everything. I place the twill tape on top of some cardboard and lightly dust it also with the adhesive. After setting up a bit place the twill tape over the seam allowance and sew.
This helps keep everything in place while sewing a French seam. If pieces are not too wide, over 12-14" I can now handle them without any adhesive but if they are wide and I have a lot of material on my sewing machine table I"ll still use the adhesive twill tape method.
Hope this helps a bit.
Boat project

Looks great!

When it comes to fine furniture store waterloo ,[…]

A knee lift is also REALLY nice :grin:

I use the Landau glue almost for everything. I h[…]