My friend asked me to recover two kids chairs he has for his grandkids. As shown in the pics it's some type of plastic as it was obviously heated to wrap it around the corners. I would like to keep it as original as possible. Any recommendations on what to use to cover it. Obviously I can get vinyl but that is way off from what was on there originally. Thanks for your help and suggestions. Ron
I would disagree about it not being vinyl, my great uncle & great aunt had similar chairs, that was about 50 years ago. I would bet that the vinyl from that time has hardened up to feel look plastic. The pattern on the underside looks like it was regular vinyl pulled tight leaving raised edges. I know marine vinyl that I had on one of my boats felt like hard plastic too, that was after 30+ years.
Ron Henningsen liked this
I have work on vinyl from the 60s or earlier and this looks similar. They did not need the cloth backing on vinyl back then.

Currently working on an ottoman with the same old material. It is still quite flexible if you warm it up. I typically only work with the material in the summer when it is easier to keep it warmed.

Backside:

Front side: note most of the red coloring that was originally on the surface is gone.
Ron Henningsen liked this
Thanks for the info. What type or how was the stitching done on the piping? It looks far too consistent to have been hand sewn. I normally am not involved with non-automotive upholstery so I have never seen anything like this. What is the name of this procedure. It looks interesting and I would like to learn more about it.
Again, thanks for responding.
The stitch must have been done by a special machine. The topstitch is a monofilament which must have been done with a twin needle. The bobbin stitch is a zigzag between the 2 topstitches with the piping caught under the zigzag.

I am plan on using a twin needle to stitch the topstitch, but will hand sew the bobbin stitches together by hand to encapsulate the piping where I have to do the repair.

It has been a journey figuring this one out, never knew monofilament thread came in so many sizes and a lot of trial and error figuring out the correct size to match the existing monofilament.
[I'm going to get some 4-way stretch vinyl and go to work. Thanks for the comments. I did not know that vinyl after 40-50 years would get hard and look like it was plastic. I learn something new every day. Thanks, Ron/quote]

That is most likely a Morbern vinyl from the 50sor 60s. I have seen in before but have not seen a source for it up here in decades. Yes it turns to plastic over time.

Up here 4 way stretch has become so expensive that some of my suppliers quit carrying it. On those I use a reasonable stretchy vinyl and a heat gun, no need for 4 way stretch on this.
Purple Diamonds.

I kinda did the same thing although I have diffe[…]

Glue spraying question

I run 10psi on the pot and 20psi on the gun, but[…]

1984 corvette seat

Leather is not cheap that's for sure, especially u[…]

Ford F250 project

Are you sourcing the embroidery file or making it […]