By bugeyed
I have a mushroom shaped ottoman that I need to cover & have the fabric cut to size. I want to do knife pleats around the sides to make the fabric fit the round shape. I need to know how to calculate the number & size of the pleats so it comes out even. This is the basic shape.

Thanks,
Kev
By Cody
I think your best option here isn’t to cut the material to size and hope for the best. I think you should use scrap material, see what size pleats look best. Idk the term knife pleats? Is that like a normal auto pleat? I would make a scrap cover first for this
By bugeyed
To John: Yes it is circular. about 21" at top & 16" at base. I've done the math by dividing the circumference of the circular piece of fabric & with the circumference of the base to get the number of pleats, but lack knowledge of any technique for this type of pleating.
Kev
By John
Well the problem your going to run in to is that the pleats will have to be tapered because of the cone shape of the side. If you just calculate it out the pleats will be straight and it wont fit. I have no experience with this or knife edge pleats. But what I would do is measure the circumference of the top and bottom and plot out your pleats so that the pleats will be tapered.

I hope that makes sense....
By bugeyed
Thanks, I think the edges of the pleats will be straight, vertically & the excess fabric can be taken up under the pleat. More at the bottom of the pleat. That's what I am going to attempt anyway. I'll let you know if it makes sense to me when I try it. :)
Kev
Newbie Pattern Question

If you use one of those large straight edges they […]

Boat project

Looks great!

When it comes to fine furniture store waterloo ,[…]

A knee lift is also REALLY nice :grin: