By Bondo497
John I am restoring a Peterbilt cabover truck and it had the base model trim ( aluminum peg board), I am doing the upholstery in 4" square pleats in Naugahide with sew foam backing. Once I sew up all the panels to the foam can I simply glue the foam to the metal peg board or what SHOULD I do?
By John
Yes should be fine to glue your pleats straight to the aluminum. I always recommend using Weldwood landau top contact cement : http://amzn.to/2nwDBO5
Its the best! Once you sew your pleats in, I would glue it to the panel and then carefully cut the foam out so that its flush with your panel. Then glue and wrap the edges around to the back side. This way you wont have a lot of build up on the back side of your panel. Also its a good idea to hit the alumnium with some sand paper and clean it well to give the glue better adhesion.

Hope this helps. Post some pictures of your truck when your finished!
Thanks, I will. It will be my first attempt at upholstery work. I picked a very large project to start with no doubt. 26 yards of Naugahide and velour, if all turns out I will have THE LUCKY NEEDLE videos you did to thank.
John liked this
National Fabric co.

Thanks, I appreciate the information.

Alignment problems

The car in back is a '40 Ford Coupe. The seat is […]

Chevy colorado seat reapir

You could just hand sew it closed, the main thing […]

Forum Rules

@John , Can we Post job listings in this forum[…]