By Cody
So I see a lot of custom built seat for cars, bikes etc. interiors by Shannon is a builder that comes to mind. I can see how they’ve stacked the foam and have different colored foam, which I’m assuming is different density. I know there are millions of places to get foam of all sorts. So for easy I’ll use Albright as I ha e their foam samples. Maybe @torrie can help out. What are example uses for each density of thei foam. Reason I’m asking is a bike builder called and asked if I’d be interested in building their seats. They aren’t high volume but not one a yr either. Not sure why they aren’t using their old upholster, but I’m afraid I’ll use the wrong density foam and be screwed. Their website is www.cheetahtrikes.com not the best pics for seats. Almost reminds me of a lawnmower seat. But this is also knowledge I could use elsewhere.
John liked this
By John
I don't do much bike seats. So I cant help much. Torrie should know what they usually sell to bike builders.
What I can tell you is how I usually choose foam. Pick whats comfortable. Don't make it to complicated. The multiple layers is a method of stacking densities. You put a layer of soft foam on top and firmer layers on the bottom to give it a nice softer feel but it firms up so your not sinking in to the seat.

Also keep in mind that the foam feel quite a bit firmer once the cover is on.
kl4bidn liked this
By BigRig
@Cody,

Order a seat from them and take it apart. If you are using Allbrights send them the foam for a match.
By Cody
@BigRig that’s not a bad idea, but the seats they have on stock are already called for, for bikes. They’re just giving me aluminum seat pans and telling me to do my magic lol.
By BigRig
Custom bikes = custom seats. Man this is a pickle! You cant make a thick gel pad seat for a road biker or a road bike seat for the everyday rider.
By John
You can do it @Cody! Just ask them more questions on what they want and what they didn't like about the other seats. Sometimes you gotta jump outside your comfort zone to progress your skills. I promise in a year from now after your on your 50th seat for them you'll think "what was I so worried about :joy: "
You got this man!
By Cody
@BigRig i should see what the seat on my bike it made from. I ride a rigid and it’s actually not bad for how hard it could ride. Put my seat on a softail and it would be cushy! @John youre right, I’ll just go and ask questions and hopefully we can all meet in the middle.
By BigRig
@Cody , My hardtail seat has about an 1/8 of an inch of dark grey foam. Not much at all almost plastic really.
By Cody
@BigRig i haven’t taken mine apart as it’s still in great shape, but man you’re a sounds thin. How is it on rides? The back of mine is about 3” and tapers down towards the front.
By Cody
@BigRig I’ll have to give them a look. minea made by saddlemen. I for some reason can’t load a pic of mine.
By Cody
So I talked with the owner Randy. Super nice guy. We talked for about 2 hours. He actually knows very little about the seats. He bought his trike back in 2016 from the original company owners. Shortly after the company closed due to the owners health issues. Fast forward 2 yrs and he purchased the company and moved it from Kentucky to Iowa. He didn’t have any seats he was willing to part with as far as tearing apart. The 2 he did have were in trikes already sold and waiting to be sent. He let me take pics and measurements etc and gave me 2 seat pans to do. They are aluminum pans. They way the back and lower covers fit I’d say the vinyl is glued vs riveted. Sits to flush like no river heads. I hate flying to aluminum. Never seems to work. I’ll post the pics in a different topic as I have a few ideas how to approach these builds and like to hear other ideas and bounce them back and forth.
John liked this
By John
Im not a huge fan off gluing to aluminum either. Make sure you sand it and clean it with acetone first. That helps a lot.
By Harman12
In terms of individual uses for foam grades, I've found that this website has a handy section once you input your measurements. There's a drop-down menu which says "don't know what foam to use?" (I'm paraphrasing there), it then offers you individual applications and makes a suggestion on which foam would be most suitable. I'm led to believe that the colour of foam tends to reflect its grade in many cases, so hopefully, this may go some way in helping you.
hapyrdr, John liked this
National Fabric co.

Thanks, I appreciate the information.

Alignment problems

The car in back is a '40 Ford Coupe. The seat is […]

Chevy colorado seat reapir

You could just hand sew it closed, the main thing […]

Forum Rules

@John , Can we Post job listings in this forum[…]