By John
Actually yeah. I get numb tingly fingers when been working a lot and my shoulders get tight. Usually my left hand.
By BigRig
So many ways for those nerves to get compromised in their path to the fingers, compression from tight muscles, swelling from tendon/nerve/ligament structures as the nerves run through little tunnels that protect the nerves from damage. Best reminder is to keep you POSTURE in check when working take breaks and pull those shoulder blades back and down, put your fingers together and stretch out your hands/fingers.
By hobo
In the past few years after streching and pulling material for a while my fingers on my right hand just lock up and cramp have to stop for a while and then I'm ok to go again. I just blame it on being old. But my parents had an upholstery shop and when my dad was about the age I am now he complained his hands hurt much the same way. Now I understand what he was complaining about.
John liked this
By BigRig
This is exactly why I asked, the precursor to carpal tunnel would be the tightness you feel in those hands. Just blame it on being a busy upholster, so many muscles are working in your hands and forearms to grasp material they are going to be tight. If they are tight enough they are going to be circulating poorly and cramp on you.
By BigRig
Hey John,

Anybody who is using their fingers a lot in a manner in which they are grasping/pulling/gripping/typing are prone to having more tension in their tendons of these muscles. Once the muscles get tight the tendons pull through the carpal tunnel tightly and over time the tension with repetitive motion creates friction against the soft tissue of the nerve and tendons resulting in inflammation and swelling filling up the space of the carpal tunnel. the symptoms will be numbness in the thumb/index and middle finger.

Prevention is to become stronger than your repetitive task, a simple squeeze ball or hand gripper and pulling each finger back to stretch the tendons through the tunnel can go a long way in keeping an Upholsters hands healthy.
John, LeatherJohnny liked this
By kl4bidn
I have double tendonitis in both my elbows. Meaning I have both golfers and tennis elbow on both arms. The pain was so intense in 2014. I had just found was I meant to do in life in 2012. I thought I would have to give up upholstery. And believe me when I say I wasn't happy. I saw an orthopedic Dr and he wanted me to have surgery on arms. There is only a 30% success rate and I would be able to do absolutely nothing for 3 months with arm and limited use for 3 months and then he'd do the other one. Nope. Nope. Nope. I knew there had to be something out there to bring relief. My husband was working in Austin, TX so I traveled with him to rest them. No work hurt even more. I found a sports based chiropractor who stacked his hand used the heel of his hand and starting from the wrist 'steamrolled" the built up scarring in my muscle fascia. Instant change in pain level. He told me to find another chiropractor that practiced Active Release Therapy or A.R.T.. This technique strips the fascia of built up scar tissue. I did so when I got home to NY and this technique saved my career! It took about 3 months to get it under control and I've even gone months with rarely a twinge of discomfort as long as I go for a stripping once a month or 2 weeks if I have a lot of hand work going on. It even took care of the tendonitis in the base of my thumb . The other thing that really helps between appointments is the Fascia Blaster. Google www.ashleyblackguru.com. The tool is a little pricy, invest in it. Don't try imitations, they don't work the same. My guys race dirt bikes and get arm pump, works for that too. I could go on and on about it but I'll let you go resesrch it now.
John, LeatherJohnny, Susy liked this
By Bondo497
@kl4bidn Thanks for this info, my wife suffers from painful wrists and she just started sewing proffesionally and is having a rough go so I'm going to pass this along to her.
kl4bidn, John liked this
By BigRig
The fascia blaster and ART are soft tissue treatment techniques. I am really happy that you found someone to do some soft tissue work. Careful with the plastic or stainless steel on the tendon attachments as chronic cases of tendon pain like yours often comes with a diagnosis of Tendonosis. In cases of tTendonosis you want to be careful with pressure from those instruments.
By Revv Up
My doctor has suggested surgery for my carpel tunnel, life long electrician working with hand tools every day took its toll. Also being an avid motorcyclist (both dirt and street) hasn’t helped. A big day of vinyl is more than uncomfortable . I will try the exercises before committing to surgery.
John liked this
Boat project

So this winter I decided to redue my boat interior[…]

I’m not sure what you are using on the edge […]

Top stitch question

I use a shorter stitch (6mm) when joining panels a[…]

Good information. I'm going to check this foam pl[…]