By Bohdan
I've been asked to do seating for a 2006 Sea Doo sportster(full sized boat not the PWC). I'm proficient with my machines and familiar with marine vinyl as I avidly work on motorcycles and some snowmobiles too. I am new to seats with bolstering and would like some outside opinions on how many hours these seat bottoms may take. There are four to be done like the photos below. Considering the shape of the seat bottoms it is likely that the four seat backs will also need to be redone. I've attached two of the customer's seats. The photo of the full row is for reference. Thanks
Attachments
seadoo.jpg
seadoo.jpg (31.48 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
seado.jpg
seado.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 1316 times
sead.jpg
sead.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 1316 times
By TedP
I'm no expert, but coming up the learning curve with my own projects.

Good news/bad news . . .

Good:

It looks like the seats are identical, so you could use the seat that is in the best shape to be the 'donor' for making the panels for the 4 seats. That could save some time.

Nothing too fancy in the stitching. The white insert looks to have some top stitching. I also see some mesh fabric which may take some time to source (?)

"Leaders RPM" (leadersrpmshop.com) shop looks like it has some off-the-shelf replacement upholstery for Sea Doo, so you could get and idea of what similar skins cost at a retail level. Also there is jbsporttrim.com that lists some similar stuff.

Bad:

It looks like the original vinyl was stretched quite a bit to tightly fit the contour of the foam and bases. That will add time, and you may want to make sure to use a marine vinyl that is designed to stretch more than normal.

Some of the bases may need foam replacement, which will add material and labor.
----------------------------------------

Are you quoting in $$$ or hours?
By Bohdan
Thanks for the sources, I wasn't aware of either website. I always quote in dollar amounts. I just quoted with some extra room for unexpected occurrences.
TedP liked this
Boat project

Wow, that's a lot of curves for your first project[…]

When you sew the corners ease the vinyl in as much[…]

Top stitch question

I use a shorter stitch (6mm) when joining panels a[…]

Good information. I'm going to check this foam pl[…]