By Pitt_Boss

Door panels - I have a few questions:

1. What would you recommend for a stable backing for the door panel material? The current is a tar like chipboard, which as seen better days. I'm a little worried about water exposure since the seals are not the best on the windows. The existing panels are in pretty good shape, except where the sheets were sewn together. Thoughts?

2. There is a metal trim around the entire tar chipboard that has seen better days. What is this called? A search under automative tack strips didn't yield much. The old fabric was pulled over the teeth and the metal strip has nails that were used to hold the panel in place in the door of the vehicle. Not sure if using the nails are the best way to go or I have seen some clips but not sure if using the clips eliminates the metal edge or its a combo. Would love some advice on what is best to do.

3. Finally the strips of cardboard that attach to the tar chipboard and are used to hold in the chrome accent strips that break up the door panel. I was able to salvage most of the nails on the back of the chrome accent piece. Just wondering what the cardboard strips are called and if I would need to find/make a replacements to attach the chrome accents or if there is a better way to attach these to the door.

Thanks in advance for all the help!
By John
1- I would use ABS or PVC board. Especially if you are worried about water.

2- Personally I would ditch the metal edge with teeth and just staple the fabric to the abs board with 5/32" staples. I would also ditch the nails and use avueco 808 clips to attach your panels to the door. https://www.albrightssupply.com/chrysle ... ener-av808

3- Looks like those strips are made out of chip board. https://www.albrightssupply.com/chipboa ... k-chip2638
I'm pretty sure they are there to prevent the attachments for chrome piece from pulling through the board. If you use ABS or PVC then you wouldn't need them.
Pitt_Boss, Matt Hamblin liked this
John, thanks for the advice. I live in Texas and the heat from the summer has put a delay on working on this project because of the heat. Things are starting to cool off a bit and I'm back at it. This be in over 100 degree heat, knowing that factor any advice on the material to use to eliminate warping?
Rhonda liked this
By John
I would do a test on pvc and see if it warps in the hot sun. This is something I have been meaning to test for a while but havent. Other wise your best options in my opinion would be 1/8" plywood or aluminum sheet.
By Skvitt5
I want to share what I've done with my doors, actually only 1 door so far and not fully installed yet. I have no concern about water for as long as I own this vehicle. Chances that It will see the rain are very slim to none :grinning: . So I used 1/8" board from HD, Also I'm not a "purist" so I've done it the way I see it. I didn't bother with those strips that hold chrome trims. With foam baked material it looks just fine (at least for me :grinning: ) Also I've modified the way that panels are attached to the door. I didn't like those nails. And this way the door panel can be removed and re-installed multiple times.
By Skvitt5
Quite a few of nails on trims were rusted off. So I TIG-welded new ones. I had to re-polish trims after, but it turned out pretty good.
I made a jig for polishing, it was a PITA to hold those bars with nails sticking out.
door card material

Any suggestions for a door card material suitable […]

MarineVinylFabric ?

Has anyone used Marine Vinyl Fabric vinyl for thei[…]

With a vision to empower and inspire our customers[…]

First Project - Cube Stool

Sleek contemporary furniture combined with a neutr[…]