General discussions about our craft and industry.
By TedP
Greetings,

I am starting to do marine upholstery as a side business and now am using my machine (Consew 206RB-4) more frequently and on a wider variety fabrics, etc. I've often wondered about the size of needle that I should be using.

My machine (Consew 206RB-4), that I bought used, came with what might be considered a life-time supply of Groz-Beckert needles - 160/23 and 110/18 sizes. I have used these needles on several projects so far. I typically use PTFE thread (Tenara) either the standard v92 or the heavy v138.
IMG_3879.JPG
IMG_3879.JPG (572.2 KiB) Viewed 2146 times
I have found that the 138 thread only likes to run on the larger (160/23)needle, whereas the 92 thread is OK with the smaller (110/18) needle. The 160/23 needle seems quite large and I assume that too large of a needle can be a concern, particularly with the tighter stitch lengths. I typically sew 4-5mm for regular seams and 6-7mm for top stitching.

I am not sure of a couple of things and could use any advice or guidance.

- Are the Groz-Beckert needles the right sort of needle to be using for vinyl upholstery fabric?

- Are the sizes about right?

- What do other use on Marine/Automotive Upholstery?

TIA for any input.
By Sully
The 135x17 are the right needles for vinyl/fabric. The 135x16 is for leather (different point on needle). The 23 size is ideal for 135 thread. The 18 is a bit small for 92 thread, but will work. You may run into issues with the thread starting to fray above the needle with an eye that small though. The 18 is better suited for 69 thread. For 92 thread, you may want to bump up to 20 or 21 needle size.
By TedP
Thank you . . . This is very helpful. All the various numbers/sizes associated with the needles often makes my head hurt :joy:

I've ordered a supply of #20 needles, as I usually work with 92 and 138 threads. So, instead of using the #18 needles, I'll use the #20 for the 92 thread and I have a good supply of the #23 for the 138 thread.
Needle size is determined by the thread thickness and it's composition, bonded vs unbonded etc. Also the thickness of the material being sewn. I sometimes sew through heavy plastic and going up a needle size helps if you are getting shredding, also the thicker the material the slower you should go as friction will build up very quickly and melt the thread. Some factories use a needle cooler to prevent this when sewing high speed and thick materials. If you lubricate your thread with dry silicone you can use a smaller needle too, or sew thicker materials without changing needles one size up. Lubricating thread will change tension so test first. Some machines have a felt on the bottom guide to hold a few drops of sewing oil when necessary.
Top stitch question

I should have said SHORTEN instead of tighten.

are your relief cuts on the stitch side. not on th[…]

Good information. I'm going to check this foam pl[…]

For diamond pattern I just staple the edges about […]