By Ron Henningsen
I have a PFAFF 545 and it works great except that I can't use heavy thread in it. I normally use 92 bonded polyester as John recommends but when I try to use anything for top stitching it just doesn't pick up the bobbin thread correctly and will then jam.
Does anyone out there us heavy thread in a PFAFF 545.
Am I missing something obvious?
When you sew with decorative thread do you use the same thread in the bobbin or the standard bobbin thread.
Great machine but I would like to do some decorative stitching.
Thanks,
Ron H
By sandmanred
I have a 545 and routinely run T135 and T210. I'd check the needle bar height and hook timing and safety clutch if you have one. There are some really good videos on youtube showing all this.

How the safety clutch is supposed to work.

Setting the timing. This is a 1245 but this part of the machine is the same as yours.
By Ron Henningsen
OK, thanks for you input. If it works on your machine I figured it should work on mine. The largest needle I have is a 25, also have a 23 in my larger needle group. I put some 270 nylon thread in a #23 needle and got good results by correctly setting the thread tension. I was always looking to be able to pull my thread through after it was fully threaded. The same ease of doing this is what I was looking for using the heavier thread. Well that's not what works. I can now sew with this heavier thread correctly but must realize that it's not an easy pull through. I kept increasing the thread tension until I got a correct pattern for tension and things still work correctly.
I was always starting off with the tension way too loose which immediately caused the bunching up of the upper and lower thread on the bottom side of the vinyl.
This was 100% operator error, I just needed to be told it should work so I would go looking for the true cause of the issue.
I do also plan to check the timing.
Again thanks,
Boat project

So this winter I decided to redue my boat interior[…]

I’m not sure what you are using on the edge […]

Top stitch question

I use a shorter stitch (6mm) when joining panels a[…]

Good information. I'm going to check this foam pl[…]