By Smooth Sail
Hi all,

On a sailboat there is the need for a zigzag stitch for the sails and a straight long stitch for the canvas, and of course it needs to be a walking foot. The machine(s) that keep coming up is the sailrite or its many brothers. These range in price from $190 on Alibaba to $1395. for a sailrite. All of these could work some with more effort than others.

My question is, do I need to do two machines or is one out there that fits all the check marks. Also I would like to find it used, good long lasting quality and not a knock off. I’m afraid I’m going to think I’m getting “the machine” but than find out I still need another one.

Any help with this would be awesome.
By Rhonda
Walking foots i have are all straight stitch , google( Sewing and More ) they have all kinds of machines. Sales people have all been real kind to me...
But I did go to school with the CEO of the company ... Blaine Austin
By Adam12
The sailrite LSZ and the like will get you by just fine if you don't have the space but with obvious limitations. Your sail will probably out weigh the machine and keeping the machine from sliding all over the table as you feed it can be frustrating but it's do-able. Something like a consew 146 is a true industrial but has a true industrial foot print.
Larry in OK liked this
By LLeeT
One of my machines is the Sailrite LSZ1.I made a table with drop down for the machine to sit in. You can make the table top whatever size works best for you. I have done some fair sized work with it as 48x39 tuck and roll panels.
The zigzag feature come in handy for me when doing some of the auto carpet.
By Larry in OK
I've had and regularly use the Sailrite LSZ1 for about 8 years now. It's a good, solid machine. One thing to consider with any equipment purchase is the availability of support, both parts and service. I have never had a problem with my LSZ1 but the limited customer service interaction I have had with Sailrite on other issues has been top tier. I've known 2 people that bought the similar Barracuda sewing machine and the quality was very much lower. And, when they had issues with the machine they had no one to go to for help. They did find a local sewing machine tech that got them up and going after a while though. I don't do a lot of sail work but the zig-zag has been needed for what I do on sails. Another benefit of the zig-zag function is the ability to move the needle position (L-C-R).
It's not a perfect machine, it wont do everything but it does a pretty good job when you keep it within it's intended use
By Smooth Sail
Thank you all for the info. There are a few awesome things about the LSZ1. As said “support” appears to be unparalleled, dual function coupled with mobility. I would be able to bring it to the boat and do repairs there instead of hauling the sail to the house.

I do have to say I’ve been diagnosed a tool guy. This makes me want the best tool for the job, but having to outfit a sew room with two industrial walking foot machines is a little crazy for re-fitting and maintaining a sailboat. That’s where that disease can take me.

Thank you all for bringing me back to a complete look at the problem.
By Mtl_Biker
I've got a Sailrite LSZ-1 and love it. The new ones come with a servo motor (called "WorkerB") and it's much better than the original. (I upgraded.) I'd also suggest you get what they call the "Monster" wheel if the package you buy doesn't already include that. This makes it really easy to use the machine by hand without electricity, which could be nice when you're anchored in a quiet bay somewhere. And the premium version includes a really robust case too.
LLeeT, MalcolmM liked this
By MalcolmM
Just be sure you are aware the Sailrite machines are small, because they are portable, and only have a 8" throat depth. If you are working on large sails you may need a larger machine, but for most repair work they should be fine. I owned a clone of the LS model, straight stitch, and it has very few presser feet available compared to a larger power stand machine. The Sailrite is a great maintenance machine, but if you do production work you will quickly want a larger machine.

I don’t think the bobbin color matters as mu[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: