Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
By jdjintx
I have a consumer machine (Brother LB5000) that I'm using for a project with my daughter (sewing several layers of cotton duck material). I have started having an intermittent issue with severely tangled top thread under the plate, and I've realized that this is always preceded by a clicking noise in the tension plate. I can duplicate the noise when threading the machine by moving the thread in and out of the thread plates before threading though the thread takeup lever, so I think what is happening is that the thread jumps out of the tension plate. This seems independent of stitch type, speed, or tension setting. It happens with brand new needles, different threads, and it does not improve when I rethread the machine. I have experimented with adding a little bit of tension by lightly pressing my finger on the thread as it comes off the spool. This seems too prevent the problem, but sewing like this continuously is not viable.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated!

JD James
Thanks! I've replicated the problem at high & low tensions, currently using 4/10 just because it's middle of the road & nothing else worked either... Will try to kick it down to 2 for a while & see what happens. Messed with screw on bobbin carrier without seeing any changes (I believe this controls bottom thread tension). Have replicated the problem with a new bobbin carrier, too. Will try to get a photo- difficult because the birdnest is typically under the plate, with the fabric welded down so hard it has to be cut out. Not much left to photograph once i get the fabric loose, but maybe I can take the plate off & capture it all intact. Thanks for the reply, and appreciate the patience with a beginner!

jdj
Usually heavier materials need higher thread tension if nothing else has changed. The most common way to get a loose threads on the bottom side is the take up arm doesn't have enough tension to pull up the top thread. I'd suggest either bump up the tension or go to a bigger needle.
What size thread are you using? I am wondering if you are exceeding the capability of the machine.

A lot of Domestic machine struggle to handle T70 thread, and it is extremely rare to find 1 that can handle T90 thread. A lot of Domestic machines can really only handle T45.

Regarding Bobbin tension, are you able to do the drop test to determine if the bobbin tension is too tight or too loose. With upholstery thread in a domestic machine you may have to remove the spring from the bobbin case in order to lower the bobbin tension enough.
Boat project

Looks great!

When it comes to fine furniture store waterloo ,[…]

A knee lift is also REALLY nice :grin:

I use the Landau glue almost for everything. I h[…]