Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
By luxuryluke
Recently discovered @John 's youtube channel and I'm amazed at the number of videos he's put out and all of the knowledge he's shared. Looking into the classes he's offering now.
:thumbsup:
So, there are a million tips about learning and getting professional with your sewing machine, but what are your most favorite tips to help others out? Share where you learned them or even who helped you learn them below.
John liked this
By Susy
My rule is oil every 8 hours of sewing ubless it's some thing dirty. Use your air to blow out the machine. Don't forget to clean your tension guides.
Also my machine doesn't like it when I call it names...it sews much better when I talk nice to it 😂
Cale, John, luxuryluke and 1 others liked this
By Cale
Oh yeah, forgot to add what else I was going to say.
Play around with the tension settings to know how different settings affect to fabric that you are using. But don't forget to make a reference to where you began.
:rofl:
Susy, John, luxuryluke and 1 others liked this
By Susy
Take your time and learn your machine. Everyone is different. Practice....learn how to make your machine go one stitch at a time. Once you can do that you can use both your hands to hold your fabric.... those 'hard' headrests will be easy when you have control
John, luxuryluke liked this
By John
@luxuryluke Welcome to the forum!!! Great question topic!

My first suggestion is make sure you get a real walking foot machine. Don't waste you time with cheaper non-walking foot machines
Second is dont over think everything. Get some cheep scrap material and start sewing. Just practice. Make mistakes and learn from them. I see a lot of people analyze everything form thread size, needle size, leather quality, vinyl brand, ect... before they have even started using their machine. Dont do this! Just have fun first and figure out all the minute details as your practicing. The important thing is to just get started.
luxuryluke, Lynndon liked this
By Smooooth
I am a less than 1 year newbie..........

IMHO..... The quality of your practice sessions will be 90% dependent on your equipment. Yes, I have watched hours upon hours of videos. Purchased John's Mentoring Intro Series. AND.............................. Tried to use a good, vintage Singer, 'home' machine with certain levels of success. Followed by more and more research.

I had selected 3 to 4 models of Industrial Walking Foot machines and set out on a 150 Miles online search. Patience is your virtue. It took approximately 3 months for just the right machine at just the right price to show up. I now own a Brother LS2-B837. Shortly after I added a Servo - And WOW!!

Any money you spend on equipment, if patient while shopping, you will get back if you need to sell.

Just by stepping up into high quality equipment changed my product quality. Now I no longer fight with both myself and the equipment, I only fight with myself.

Be careful of the rabbit hole of buying equipment!!!!!!!! Make one good purchase.

I currently have my eye on Cylinder Arm Class 441 type of machine to expand some capabilities. Again, patience in searching, not in a rush, and one will find its way to me.

N E T W O R K ! ! ! ! ! ! I met a wonderful mentor through the Facebook Industrial page. Walk in the door with a sad face, and project in hand, and he has my back.

I hope some of this helps - Enjoy the journey.

Stephen
luxuryluke, John, gtsaucke liked this
By Scott D
1::: keep your fingers clear of the needle.
2: All panels are not straight, stitching up straight pieces of material is good practice, but it is far from the real world. go look at a boat seat, custom boats, not cookie cutter with 2-3 pieces in a seat.
3::: Keep your fingers clear of the needle.
4:: Proper patterns and layout are key to a good fit and a good looking seat.
5::: Don't buy that cheap azz thread off ebay, it's cheap for a reason.
6::: Fingers, make sure they are clean when handling white material. might sound odd, but if you get a dark smudge on white vinyl it will stand out, if you can't get it off.
John liked this
By gtsaucke
Kra z Bill wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:37 pm Don"t buy a Knock off of a brand name sewing machine, It WILL GIVE YOU HEARTACHES and cost more money in the long run.
Do you consider a Reliable Barracuda 200zw a "knock off"?
By Kra z Bill
gtsaucke wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:57 pm
Kra z Bill wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:37 pm Don"t buy a Knock off of a brand name sewing machine, It WILL GIVE YOU HEARTACHES and cost more money in the long run.
Do you consider a Reliable Barracuda 200zw a "knock off"?
Yes it is a copy of a Sailrite LSZ 1 and I am not saying it is a bad machine, it could be the best machine for you. What I meant is I bought a REX 607 which is a copy of a Sailrite LS 1 and in order for me to get it to sew like I wanted I wound up spending more money on motors, table and other things than if I would have bought a sailrite LS 1. The advantage of doing it that way was I was able to buy a little bit at a time. You do what ever you and your budget will allow.
John, gtsaucke liked this
By etyuiujtgbgf
Sure, here are some sewing machine tips that can help you get the most out of your sewing projects:

Always read the manual: Before you start using your sewing machine, take the time to read the manual. This will give you a better understanding of the machine's features and how to use them.

Use the right needle: Make sure you use the correct needle for the type of fabric you are working with. https://i-m4.net/ Using the wrong needle can result in skipped stitches or even damage to the fabric.

Keep your machine clean: Regularly clean your machine, especially the bobbin case and feed dogs, to prevent buildup of dust and lint.
By Rhonda
take the time to clean and oil your machine . Always check the stitching before you sew on a piece of work! Read the manual then google for easy instructions if needed. change the needle often.
also take the time to keep your work area clean. If you get too busy with jobs . Scrap can pile up quick.
By fibersport
I'm new to this field but I have found that intentionally putting your machine out of time can be extremely valuable down the road. Knowing how it all works together allows you to be able to troubleshoot problems. It also gives you a solid understanding of how the machine actually sews. Find a good manual that tells you how to dial everything in before you start though. In my case the machine hadn't been used in years and had loose screws and stuck parts all over, it couldnt sew if it had to so I didn't worry about messing things up - it couldn't have gotten any worse.

With a vision to empower and inspire our customers[…]

First Project - Cube Stool

Sleek contemporary furniture combined with a neutr[…]

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]