General discussions about our craft and industry.
I use Bonded Poly, Tex 90, for my products and started out years ago with A&E then they had issues so I switched to Amann and then for the last few years, have been happy with Superior Threads store brand which they quit selling last year. I just bought some more Amann and A&E and they both keep fraying and I know lot numbers of thread differ ( like all products) so I used another supplier and the same thing is happening. I am just frustrated as we finally loved the Superior threads brand and the factory they used shut down so I can't get it.

So, my question is if anyone here is using the same thread and having issues or found a brand they love? BTW: I have contract sewers who work with me and they are having the same issues so it is not just a one time issue.
It sounds like you've been through quite a journey with different thread brands, and I'm sorry to hear about the frustration you're experiencing. Dealing with thread that frays can definitely be a headache, especially when you rely on it for your products.

While I don't have personal experience with the specific thread you mentioned, it seems like you've already tried a few different brands without success. Since your contract sewers are experiencing the same issues, it does suggest that it might not just be a one-off problem.

It might be worth reaching out to other makers or sewing communities online to see if they've encountered similar issues with the brands you've tried or if they have recommendations for alternative brands that have worked well for them. Sometimes, hearing from others who have faced similar challenges can provide valuable insights or suggestions.

Additionally, you could consider contacting manufacturers directly to inquire about any changes in their production processes or if they have any recommendations for addressing the fraying issue.

I hope you're able to find a solution soon and get back to focusing on your products without the added headache of dealing with thread problems. HAPPY SEWING :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:
We've used Amann serabond 90 and 135 for a few years now. No issues to report except that we once accidentally ordered serafil and no one liked that (not bonded). Personally i did not care for superior thread, and i felt like it had a larger diameter than equivalent threads of other brands and I've had the opposite experience, shredding superior thread and sewing like a dream using serabond. Filtec is my second choice it is quite good too but costs more. If this is a problem across the board with different sewers using different machines, then i would contact Amann. If it was just one machine acting up i'd say it was a machine issue
Simbinas liked this
SewingEnthusiast wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:49 am It sounds like you've been through quite a journey with different thread brands, and I'm sorry to hear about the frustration you're experiencing. Dealing with thread that frays can definitely be a headache, especially when you rely on it for your products.

While I don't have personal experience with the specific thread you mentioned, it seems like you've already tried a few different brands without success. Since your contract sewers are experiencing the same issues, it does suggest that it might not just be a one-off problem.

It might be worth reaching out to other makers or sewing communities online to see if they've encountered similar issues with the brands you've tried or if they have recommendations for alternative brands that have worked well for them. Sometimes, hearing from others who have faced similar challenges can provide valuable insights or suggestions.

Additionally, you could consider contacting manufacturers directly to inquire about any changes in their production processes or if they have any recommendations for addressing the fraying issue.

I hope you're able to find a solution soon and get back to focusing on your products without the added headache of dealing with thread problems. HAPPY SEWING :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:
Thanks for the reply. I have Googled for forums about heavy duty sewing, etc but I can't really find any besides this forum. Home sewing or even quilting is easy to find but industrial has been a challenge.
Adam12 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:46 pm We've used Amann serabond 90 and 135 for a few years now. No issues to report except that we once accidentally ordered serafil and no one liked that (not bonded). Personally i did not care for superior thread, and i felt like it had a larger diameter than equivalent threads of other brands and I've had the opposite experience, shredding superior thread and sewing like a dream using serabond. Filtec is my second choice it is quite good too but costs more. If this is a problem across the board with different sewers using different machines, then i would contact Amann. If it was just one machine acting up i'd say it was a machine issue
Yes, various machines can be a issue. I have not found Filtec so I will check into it. Thanks for the reply!
Just running a project and using American E thread. Do you know where this is really made seems funny they chose that name. I have a thread unravelling issue every time I cut the thread now but no fraying.It sounds like the thread you liked may be similar to U-Bond.
I have used several brands as well as non brands. I find the tension setting change a lot between brands. I did not see you mention Coats as one of the ones you have tried. You might also consider a UVR thread as they usually have an extra coating so may pass through your machine better.

I buy a lot of thread on eBay from sewingthreadsrus, they have a lot of different brands that you can try out.

You might also check your bobbin tension and your hook to needle spacing. I have had fraying from too much tension, and I have had fraying from the hook piercing the thread.
Simbinas, 8675-30-9 liked this
I too have experienced this. Hook was too close to the needle and was fraying thread is what I found. However, also keep watch on the tensioner discs as these tend to burn a thread groove between them into the metal over long term use, This eventually messes with your tension settings and can also fray your thread as well when you are going up/down in sizes.
Newbie Pattern Question

If you use one of those large straight edges they […]

Boat project

Looks great!

When it comes to fine furniture store waterloo ,[…]

A knee lift is also REALLY nice :grin: