By Trimmerman79
Hey guys I’ve been looking into upgrading my glue sprayer. I just use the cheap HF purple hlvp type of gun now. Problem with these the glue dries up in the cup very quickly and gets gunk up on the tip nozzle making impossible to spray. I’ve used the bottom feed general purpose stray gun before, worked okay. A old school upholstery guy I talked to years ago used a glue pot system that worked well without any issues. I think it held a gallon or more of glue at a time. Looking for the best option now. I use Weldwood Landau Top and Trim HHR glue.
By BigRig
@Trimmerman79 ,

I picked up a glue gun very similar to what John recommends and wuite seriously I load about a gallon of glue and keep using it until gone. I shake the pot before use and pretty much always have to clean the end. I have only sprayed about 10 gallons of glue this half a year and all is always good.
By John
I dont like pressure pots because the glue can dry in the lines if you dont use it daily. Witch is expensive to replace the lines. If you will use it daily its probably a good option. I have been using these guns for about 8 years now. I love them. They are cheep so if they give me trouble I just buy a new one. You can get them at harbor freight.
Trimmerman79 liked this
By Trimmerman79
I guess that makes since for guys that do upholstery everyday to use the glue pot. I might use mine once a week once I’m done a build and need to wrap the panels. I will just try one of these again. Thanks guys
John liked this
By John Long
@Trimmerman79 Either will work but don't go any smaller. They make a 1.4 but it is pretty restrictive for the glue. I have known guys to drill out the air caps to make the cheap guns shoot heavy primer. That could probably also be done for the glue.

John
John liked this
By John
I think Harbor freight only has them 1.8. That's what I use. If you find your glue is getting old and not spraying well you can thin it a little with acetone.

@John Long thats a good Idea! I might try that sometime.
Trimmerman79 liked this
By Trimmerman79
John wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:03 pm I think Harbor freight only has them 1.8. That's what I use. If you find your glue is getting old and not spraying well you can thin it a little with acetone.

@John Long thats a good Idea! I might try that sometime.
Okay thanks, I ended up with a 1.8 gun. Also I got a new 5 gallon pale of glue also. As I finished off the older 5gallon I had. Also I think the glue was old also, which could have caused spraying issues in the past.
John liked this
By Scott D
I’ve used the cheap hf guns, they’re ok but they don’t last. Ive started using the pressure pot that I use to for gel coat, its about $600.00 and out of the reach of sensibility for most glue gun users. When I get done spraying for the day I will open the vent and blow air back into the cap, pushing any glue back down the line into the pot.
Trimmerman79 liked this
National Fabric co.

Thanks, I appreciate the information.

Alignment problems

The car in back is a '40 Ford Coupe. The seat is […]

Chevy colorado seat reapir

You could just hand sew it closed, the main thing […]

Forum Rules

@John , Can we Post job listings in this forum[…]