Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
By jdenison89
@BigRig This one is 13.6" depth which is pretty decent. I dont know that they make a longer arm in this model. The Adler 867 does have a long arm model though
John liked this
By EmmaLove
Kra z Bill wrote:
RonaldMak wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:00 pm Can anyone recommend me the best product from the list mentioned in this site
https://fitsewing.com/best-quilting-sewing-machine/
you may have quilting and upholstery mixed up. this is upholstery as in car/boat an so on, quilting uses a whole different type of machine. now i do both and i use a singer 4452 for quilting. but I wish I had a brother for quilting
I have a Pfaff Hobby grand quilter that ONLY does straight stitch, I have a 1/4" foot for it with the edge on the side that I love. I use this machine constantly and very seldom take the cover off my brother computerized machine - that's for garment sewing mainly. If ALL you are going to do is quilt - then I would seriously look at one of the SS only machines - New they are more than your allowance but sometimes you can find gently used ones on ebay for about your price range. It has the larger harp area also, needle up / down, thread cutter and makes an awesome stitch and does free motion quilting beautifully. Before I got my Pfaff HGQ I used a singer 201-2 for my quilting and still love that one also- doesn't get used as much anymore but it's still an awesome quilting machine Might be able to pick one of those at a rummage sale for way less than your wanting to spend. Cool feature I found following my link - if you subscribe and there is any sale on Amazon, they'll notify you on the e-mail about it, I found it useful
John liked this
By MalcolmM
jdenison89 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:39 am I first had my sights set on getting an Adler 867 Eco. After waiting months and never receiving it I opted for in my opinion the next best thing. The Juki 2810; its been an amazing machine and has sewn anything ive thrown at it. Multiple layers of leather with sew foam, cardboard etc. Its an absolute beast and is about $800-1000 less than the Adler depending on where you look for it. This machine IS made in china, but i have zero complaints and would highly recommend it.

How are you liking the Juki 2810? have you sewn heavy thread with it? How does it handle thick assemblies? Cheers, Malcolm.
By Rug Dr.
Check out ebay. For 1500 bucks I would be looking at Juki or Consew. For every day use those cheap china knock off's are junk. You can get new with table and servo motor for less than 1500.
By jdenison89
@MalcolmM

Still love this machine and zero complaints. This one is made in China, but its a work horse. It will sew 210 Tex thread with no issues and the adjustable walking height on the presser feet allows you to sew over anything. I think the only machines not made in China anymore are the small Jukis and Seikos. Pfaff, Adler, Consew are all made in China or with parts made in China. Highly recommend this machine to anyone. The Juki 1541 is still a great choice, for the price it probably cant be beat.
miket, MalcolmM, John liked this
By trimmer2
I also use the 2810 Great machine Not only is the bed longer but it is also higher You can pass a 4 0z spool under it with an inch to spare The presser foot adjust is great and easy to use just turn the wheel on top
By jdenison89
@BigRig

Its a knob on the machine you can adjust similar to stitch length. The 2810 has up to 9mm of height adjustment on the feet.

I'l l try and post a video later to show that feature.
By hotrod47
Hi, I'm new to the forum.
I go to a lot of car shows and have seen a guy selling a machine call the Mini-Brute. Does anyone know anything about it.
I am starting to work on a 37 Packard and there is going to be a bunch of sewing so I hate to make a mistake and get a machine that Cann't handle the work load.

Thanks
By John
@hotrod47 That machine is the same as the sailrite portable machine and the REX walking foot. It really depends on the quality of work you are trying to do. The machine is a walking foot and technically can handle the thick amount of material you will be sewing. However its a very small machine so it will be difficult to fit much material under the neck. This comes in really important when sewing pleats and top stitches. I have seen people turn out good work with theses machines but it will make it harder on you. I dont recommend these machines but they will work if you dont have any other option.
hotrod47 liked this
By John Long
hotrod47 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:34 pm Hi, I'm new to the forum.
I go to a lot of car shows and have seen a guy selling a machine call the Mini-Brute. Does anyone know anything about it.
I am starting to work on a 37 Packard and there is going to be a bunch of sewing so I hate to make a mistake and get a machine that Cann't handle the work load.

Thanks
I have a Mini-Brute which I have owned for years. I did several interiors with it before upgrading to my Adler. It works and does a fair job at what it does but........It will limit you to how thick of material will go under the presser foot. Also, you will be limited in your ability to pass material through the arm of the machine. This becomes important when you are sewing pleats in particular. Lastly, you will find that not only does it not sew long stitches but since it is not a needle feed machine, the stitches will get much shorter as the material thickness increases.

I still have mine tucked back in it's original box but only because I have never been really comfortable trying to convince someone they should buy it.

John
MalcolmM, John liked this
By Tackman
jdenison89 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:39 am I first had my sights set on getting an Adler 867 Eco. After waiting months and never receiving it I opted for in my opinion the next best thing. The Juki 2810; its been an amazing machine and has sewn anything ive thrown at it. Multiple layers of leather with sew foam, cardboard etc. Its an absolute beast and is about $800-1000 less than the Adler depending on where you look for it. This machine IS made in china, but i have zero complaints and would highly recommend it.

How is this one going still? I have the 1510n-7 now for 14 yrs. Love it. But was thinking of this 28107 which is similar to yours of course. Been sewing upholstery /canvas for 50 yrs now. Will never go back to non auto trimmer etc. My dealer who sold me the Juki 1510n-7 is trying to sell me the Adler 867 Classic . My Juki has all the attachments and welting feet I need to do any job A1 and they won't fit the Adler. This worries me as I have tried some feet for my machines over the years and didn't have good results. I'm leary of Adlers line and lack of it I see out there. The 2810 comes with a standard (juki/singer style) foot mounts or the european (adler). So I can use all previous feet I own if the Standard machine is ordered.
China vs Japan 1510n-7 made? My dealer say's all managers and quality people are at the factory in China to make sure it gets done. Still leary as China has some bad stuff out there.
John liked this

I don’t think the bobbin color matters as mu[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: