Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
By John
@OhioFitnessGarage If your not using it daily, The fabricator will be a good option for you in your budget and easy to learn on.

I did a quick search on CL in your area and found 2 machines that I think would be good for you. I would recommend putting a servo motor on these to make it easier for you to control.
https://columbus.craigslist.org/bfs/d/i ... 21802.html
https://columbus.craigslist.org/bfs/d/c ... 39901.html
By Revv Up
Yesterday I spoiled myself with a new Juki 1541 because my old one had treated me so well, I see real decent used ones going between $500 and $700 all the time.
By John
@Revv Up
The Juki Dnu 1541 is a great machine. In my area they retail for $1700. I rarely see them for sale used and when I do they are still over $1000.
Where are you seeing them for $500? Ill buy one today for that price!
By BigRig
@John,

I am curious too! @Revv Up , I got my machine serviced by International in Calgary and it is just kicking butt for now anyways. Time to do some projects to pay for those repairs though.
John liked this
By BigRig
@Revv Up ,

Just so you know I was looking at the DNU 1541 on the shelf at International Sewing Machine and it had a price tag of $3500.00. You got a smoking deal!
John liked this
By Scott D
Beware of the cheaper units, I picked up a Yamata, a $600.00 unit and it was junk. Timing was always going out, it was nasty. I bit the bullet and bought a Consew 1541S, same as the Juki. It kicks butt and makes life easy. Knee lift vs reach around the back to lift the foot. Push button to reset timing, it doesn't go out , or hasn't as of yet, going on two years. Go with a servo motor, creep a long at a snails pace or twist the dial to haul rabbit butt. You might want to check out ebay for an older juki, or your local craigs list, The big M bobbin is nice.
By Cody
I often wonder about the knock off machines myself. They often say they are compatibile with juki or consew parts, like feet etc.
By Kra z Bill
My REX RX 607 is a knock off of the Sailrite LS1 , everything from the sailrite fits right o. But If I had the money I would buy the Sailrite instead. Having the support offered from Sailrite would be great, you don't have ANY Support from the knock off.
By Revv Up
John wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:55 pm @Revv Up
The Juki Dnu 1541 is a great machine. In my area they retail for $1700. I rarely see them for sale used and when I do they are still over $1000.
Where are you seeing them for $500? Ill buy one today for that price!
@John I did misspeak, I bought my Yakumo 280L for $500 which is, was, or somehow became the Juki 1541 and they are the ones I see more often on Kajiji or on buy and sell web sites. I think there are other Japanese machines that also fall into this category

@BigRig my new Juki with a few trinkets..... servo motor & LED light and some bobbins and titanium needles was $3200 taxed, disappointing to compare to the US prices but it’s one of the last Juki’s to be made in Japan and should last a long long time.
John liked this
By BigRig
@Revv Up ,

It will be worth every penny and more. Trying to lug through layers of material and getting slowed down is just $$$ going down the drain.
By Cale
What machines will sew the larger threads like 207 and up? Not that I need to right now but curious for future knowledge.
By John
Any industrial walking foot should be able too. The trick is using size 92 thread in the bobbin. :wink: There is no reason to use it in the bobbin because thread that thick is just decoration and that is what usually causes the problems.
Occasionally you might have to adjust the hook timing a little but a lot of times you dont.
By BigRig
@John,

I cant mess with my machine until a project is done all is set for it but after I am going to do a little experimenting! Tricks are what we need to learn :relaxed:
By Hope Komla
About reducing speed,there is a video on YouTube by Cechaflo on that. Even though it's not the same machine I think the procedure is replicable.

In fact this discussion is good to have.
John liked this
By Cale
John wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:38 pm Any industrial walking foot should be able too. The trick is using size 92 thread in the bobbin. :wink: There is no reason to use it in the bobbin because thread that thick is just decoration and that is what usually causes the problems.
Occasionally you might have to adjust the hook timing a little but a lot of times you dont.
It is funny that you said this. That was my same thought and logic. I used 138 thread on the gear shift knob that I did and I didn't see a need to use a larger thread in the bobbin. My LSZ machine did fine with that. As for changing timing and tensions I might try that later but for now I am just going to work on getting to know the basics very well.
John liked this

I don’t think the bobbin color matters as mu[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: