Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
By mdy25
I purchased a Reliable 5400 SW a few years ago. I could purchase locally and they repair -- major draws. However, I seem to have nothing but problems. If I switch the foot, I then have to spend a good deal of time monkeying with the tension. Some thread also seems to be an issue. My previous sewing experience is with a small machine and tension issues are rare at best.

When it sews well, it's great. But when it's not, it's hours of frustration. Anyone have similar experiences? Suggestions or tips so I don't lose my mind?
By Adam12
Pics of the machine and it's tension issues are helpful. When you swap feet, do you have more trouble with one than another? What issues are you having with thread and what size thread/needle?
mdy25 liked this
By mdy25
I am using a bonded 92 thread. When I switched from the black thread to the red thread, the problems began. I noticed the red thread seems more prone to fraying at end and almost appears to burr. But the black thread doesn't do that so I'm guessing it's not the machine causing the issue. Needles are those recommended for sewing vinyl. I recently changed the needle.
By MalcolmM
I have been using a #20 needle for V92 thread, bonded poly, works fine. I also have had to clean out adhesive from my hook with solvent and a Q-tip to get my machine running yesterday. Do you sew glue laminated assemblies? That could be an issue. If the tension release pin is not working properly that would cause intermittent tension issues. When you use the knee lifter make sure the tension disks are opening and closing properly. Just a couple of simple things that have caused me problems in the past. M
John liked this
By John
Reliable inst top of the line but it should not be giving you that many issues.

If the thread tension issues started when changing thread colors I would bet that the thread isn't routed properly. Either on the top thread or bottom thread. I would double check your manual and make 100% sure everything is routed properly. I dont see anything standing out in your picture.

Also thread brand makes a huge difference and can cause you a lot of frustration. I only recommend using Coats bonded polyester , Amman serafill and Amman serabond.
Everything else I have used I did not like.

Let us know if you find anything after checking everyone's suggestions.
By mdy25
Thank you all for your suggestions! After a lot of frustration, I realized it was a certain spot on the spool of thread causing the issue. Whenever the thread was pulling from near the bottom of the spool, tension issues happened. As soon as I helped it along, all was fine again until the next time at that spot.

Thanks again!
MalcolmM, John liked this
@mdy25 where did you get your thread from? The last project I was working on used red thread and I was having random issues with the thread fraying while I was sewing. It was size 92 poly thread from the thread exchange. I've never had any issues like that with any other thread. Almost seemed like I got some weird bad thread.
John liked this
By mdy25
@Mikesimpson - The thread was from Yourautotrim. I ordered black, white, tan, and red. I've had no problems with the black thread (haven't needed to sew with the white or tan). It appears to be an issue with how the thread was wound onto the spool -- that's my guess anyway. I've also noticed the red thread seems to fray more easily. The colour also seems to "flake" -- it's still red thread but there is also red all over the place. Ordered some more red thread from a Canadian supplier (JT's Outdoor Fabrics) -- will see if I run into the same problem.
Mikesimpson, MalcolmM liked this
By Revv Up
I’ve had the same troubles …. ended up being my color thread was tight on the spool causing it to hang up while paying off causing high upper thread tension., which shredded the thread at the needle

Try winding some on a bobbin and rig it for your top end thread or unwind a bunch and hand wind it back on the spool to see if it cures the problem
John liked this
mdy25 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:15 pm @Mikesimpson - The thread was from Yourautotrim. I ordered black, white, tan, and red. I've had no problems with the black thread (haven't needed to sew with the white or tan). It appears to be an issue with how the thread was wound onto the spool -- that's my guess anyway. I've also noticed the red thread seems to fray more easily. The colour also seems to "flake" -- it's still red thread but there is also red all over the place. Ordered some more red thread from a Canadian supplier (JT's Outdoor Fabrics) -- will see if I run into the same problem.
I realize this is an older thread (I just joined this board) but wanted to comment on thread colors...

I have three industrial machines and this is true on every one of them... Black thread is stiffer than other colors, I'm told due to the dyes, and I can change between white, blue, red, etc. without having to change tension adjustments. But black thread needs different (usually tighter) tensions than the others. I understand this is fairly common and fairly well-known. I use only bonded polyester threads from brand name companies (mostly Sunstop from A&E), never cheap no-name threads.

Other than adjusting top thread tension, I actually reserve a bobbin holder just for black thread. I find it easier (guess I'm lazy) to keep one bobbin holder with the tension adjusted for black, and another holder for the other colors. Then I usually only have to readjust the top thread tension if I go from black to something else or vice-versa.

I hope this is of some help.
John, mdy25 liked this
By BigRig
@Mtl_Biker , I think you may have pegged her issue. I think we all have access to the same threads I love the sunstop and all sews well with A@E. Twisting of thread should be observed as it comes off the stool. I had a hell of a time with some CanSew thread recently.
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: