Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
helpful yay or nay please!! Pfaff 546-H3 - 6/2 2 needle walking foot machine with vertical loaded (drop in) lg bobbin reverse stitch, new 110 volt servo motor 2 needle triple feed lockstitch with 5/8" space between needles machine is in sewing condition. however theres no video to back that last statement..... what questions should I be asking? is this the machine to start my auto upholstery business with? thanks, appreciate any input
That's a really nice machine and could certainly be an asset to an upholstery shop. However, i wouldn't suggest it being your only machine. Not a great idea to buy a double needle machine with the intention to use it as a single needle. It would be fine to do from time to time if you were in a pinch but not as a primary use. They are built so that the stress is balanced, using one needle puts all of the stress to one side. Probly not as much of a factor with 5/8 spacing compared to 1" and larger, but still a risk. Not to mention that welt cord and zippers will pretty well be impossible. You'll do better with a single needle machine.
Lgwasi, John liked this
So appreciate the help!! I really hope to get a machine bought SOON! I'm now looking at a Brother DT4-B-266-012-0 heavy duty, late model, automatic single needle chainstitch machine Do I want a chain stitch machine? I DO like, very much, the stitch Brother machines creates..... and is zig zag just for decorative?
Chainstitch machines are typically for garments. Chainstitch doesn't really have a place in upholstery it is not as strong as a lock stitch and has a tendancy to unravel. Where are you located? You can get some good deals on ebay, but having dealer support is priceless if you have one that is somewhat local. Check out John's buyer's guide on TheLuckyNeedle if you haven't already.
John liked this
Top stitch question

So my seam is 6 and the top is 8. I used the same […]

Good information. I'm going to check this foam pl[…]

For diamond pattern I just staple the edges about […]

Furniture store

When seeking replacement furniture, consider your […]