Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
By bajintas
Hello,
I'm new to this forum, and to sewing in general. I've been watching Johns videos for ages now, and trying to learn what I can while using an ancient (1952) Singer domestic machine.
Now its time to splurge on a new machine, to be used for general automotive upholstery
Here in Australia, used machines that aren't older than me are hard to come by and they still command high prices, so I feel the best value for me is a new, mid range model, something like the Seiko STH-8BLD-3
Has anyone had any experience with this model? Good or bad.
I like that's its made in Japan.
Anything cheaper is generally made in China, which is OK, but the quality can be a bit of a lottery.

Bob
By Adam12
Solid choice. In the U.S. we know it more commonly as a consew 206 which is quite popular upholstery class machine. Well built, well documented on the internet, attachments/feet are abundant and wont break the bank. :thumbsup:
John liked this
By oztraveller
Hi Bob,

I'm also in Australia so perhaps I can assist. I'd agree with you that used machine prices in Oz are quite high, and I know you aren't keen on older models, but I have a Consew 256 which is probably 50 years old that I've owned for a couple of years, and honestly these things are built like a tank and would likely survive a nuclear holocaust. It's made in Japan by Seiko (the name is actually in the casting underneath) and apart from regular oiling and cleaning, ticks along perfectly and can sew through massive layers of fabric and foam.

My wife has a nearly-new Singer domestic machine and it's quite amazing the difference in quality - admittedly one is meant for heavy commercial work and the other is for home use, but it's certainly a case of "they don't make 'em like they used to"

Just something to keep in mind while you're looking. I'm sure the Seiko STH-8BLD-3 would be a fine machine, as Adam12 mentioned these are the equivalent of the Consew 206 (and my 256 is the same as the Seiko LSW-8BL).

One thing that is worth mentioning is some advice that was given to me when I first started out on the upholstery journey, was to buy more machine than you need - in other words, it's quite amazing how quickly you will outgrow a small machine and you'll always be wishing you had something with more capacity and grunt.

Feel free to contact me directly if you want any further background on this, I'd be happy to help.

Cheers

Bill.
John liked this
By bajintas
Thanks Bill, I did reply but it seems to be lost in cyberspace.
I don't mind the older machines but they seem to be overpriced and my untrained eye can't tell if theyre worn out or not.
I think I'll spend the money on a new one. At least I know they hold their value well.

Bob
By BigRig
Why dont you go try sewing on a chinese model at a shop? The machines made in China are being used in China and may have about as many hours sewing on them a person could see. I think shop with what yo u are wanting to spend and try and determine how many hours you are going to put on a machine. Could you possible wear it out doing a couple of projects? I have sewn on a lot of brands and all have sewn good to be honest.
John liked this

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: