Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
By StephenE
Hello,
We are looking for a new sewing machine that can handle a 138 thread. Ideally we'd like a new machine but only want to spend up to $1000, I realize this may be difficult. They say the Sailrite portables can only handle v92, and the Fabricator can handle 138, but that is almost double what we want to spend. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I saw a Rex on Amazon but the reviews are mixed on handling the 138 thread.

Thank you,
Stephen
By Adam12
Not to be a downer but no new machine exists that i know of which will handle 138 for under $1000. I'd say either increase the budget (it'll pay for itself in no time) or look for a good used machine. You can absolutely get into a good used one for $1000.
John liked this
By Adam12
I'd say all upholstery class machines should handle it and there are so many good ones,
Consew 206RB5
Juki 1541
They're very well documented, proven designs, easy to find parts and attachments. Dealer support is huge when buying new. If you have a dealer you can drive to, do it. They will set it up for your specific needs. And you may be able to try out different models and see which one feels right to you.
John liked this
Among other machines, I also have a Sailrite LSZ-1 (Premium)... Before buying it a few months ago, I was talking with Matt Grant (one of the owners of Sailrite) and he said that yes, the machine would sew v138 thread. I haven't tried that yet as my projects work fine with v92, but I have no doubt that it would work. But I think the most important consideration other than thread size, is what material you work with and particularly the thickness. And whether or not you can get presser feet that are suitable. With the LSZ-1 I just recently sewed two layers of 8 oz veg tan leather without problems. But I did change to a less aggressive presser foot (smoother knurled bottom) than the standard foot so as to not leave marks on the leather.

The LSZ-1 is a zig-zag machine and I've tried that it actually works, but I don't really have a current need for stitching zig-zag. But I had never imagined that the feature would have other advantages... You can set the needle to left, center or right within the presser foot and that's really an incredible feature. It means I can sew zippers without having to get a special foot (like I have to on my other machines) and I must say I'm really very satisfied with the machine. My only gripe is the small domestic machine size bobbin it uses. I much prefer the industrial large size bobbins on my other machines. I'm forever running out of bobbin thread with these small bobbins.

But as others have said, I think it's unlikely you'll find a new machine to fit your requirements within your $1000 budget.

You haven't said what you want to sew (only the thread thickness you want to use) but it's fairly easy to find a very good used flatbed machine for that price and maybe even a cylinder arm machine.

I hope this is of some help.
By John
@StephenE You can find new machines at that price but they are not going to be good and you'll end up hating it.
If your budget $1000 you can find some very nice used machines at that price.

If your going to up your budget. My #1 recommendation on a new machine is the Juki 1541s. Its a great machine. Here is more information on that machine. http://shrsl.com/2vh3b
MalcolmM liked this

I’m not sure what you are using on the edge […]

Top stitch question

I use a shorter stitch (6mm) when joining panels a[…]

Good information. I'm going to check this foam pl[…]

For diamond pattern I just staple the edges about […]