Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
By Ddedman
I think that the RB4 RB5 designations are in relation to the generation of machine. RB1 first generation and up. All are good generation's as far as I know. I have an RB5 and have it sees nice once they're tuned.
John liked this
By MalcolmM
I bought the P1206RB by Consew years ago, I like it a lot and it's unfortunate that the name is so close as it's a completely different machine. My machine used the same needle plate, feed dogs, presser feet and binding attachments, but that's where the similarities end. The P1206RB has an oil bath under the machine and a pump to oil everything inside the machine and unlike the Juiki's has no drive belt, all gear driven. They even have a vacuum system to remove oil from the needle bar well so it doesn't leak out easily. The P1206RB-7 has automation with a thread cutter and auto backtack, same machine but with electronics, for twice the price. If I sewed all day long that would be valuable, but I don't so the manual machine has been fine for me. If I were going to set up the machine in a trailer as some canvas guys do I would buy the 206RB as dumping the oil every time you want to move it would be a PIA. These machines are very affordable for the performance, 16mm foot lift which is better than most and so far has been a decent buy. The only "upgrade" I would want at this point would be a Juki LU2810, which has a longer harp, 14" and a 20mm foot lift, but at $3k for the non automation model quite expensive for minor improvements. The automated model is $4500~6K. I settled by upgrading to a 1100W motor with a needle positioner and that has been a great value to me so no need to buy the Juki anytime soon.
By Cale
After a two year hiatus from sewing, I am getting back into it. I am looking for a new machine to add to my shop. I want a long arm machine and I have narrowed down to 2 machines, the Consew 206rbl-25 and the Techsew 5100-25.
My main concern right now is that the 206 might be a notch too small and the 5100 a notch too large.
I am doing automotive interiors and my main concern is being able to sew larger threads for top stitching. I want to use larger threads, up to at least 207, can the consew handle that?
I know that the techsew 5100 can easily do the larger threads but I am affraid that the standard 92 I use for sewing may be too small for that machine.
Anybody have any input on these machines?
John liked this
By DavidBraley
@ChapelWorx,

Thank you for sharing those two video links on how to set-up, tune, and maintain the 206RB-5 machine!
By Mtl_Biker
You're comparing a flatbed machine with a cylinder arm. Have you thought about which might be most useful for what you want to sew?

If you think you're getting the best of both worlds with a cylinder arm machine because they (often) come with an add-on flatbed table, just be aware that it's generally something you will not want to install/remove every day and certainly not several times per day.

As far as using v92 on the 5100 goes, I suggest you check out the sewing machine section on the leatherworker.net board. There are lots of extremely knowledgeable folks there who gladly help out. And one of them, RockyAussie, has designed a special plate (and feed dog?) for the 5100 class of machine that allows it to EASILY handle thinner thread and material assemblies. People who've bought it are raving about it. Here's a link to the (long) thread about it: https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/9 ... -machines/
DavidBraley, Cale liked this
By MalcolmM
I have a Cowboy CB4500, same as the Techsew 5100 which are clones of the Juki TSC441. I use V138 as the minimum size thread on this machine, I have heard it's possible to get it to sew with V92, check out the procedure on leatherworker.net. I have found V138 close enough to V92 that I always have V138 in the bobbin and use much heavier threads for topstitching, having a 16" arm length is great for doing that work. For construction seams V138 is fine. I have the table attachment and that is helpful for sewing diamonds in seats, but have just worked with the cylinder arm as well. There are a lot of different style feed for this machine, mostly for sewing leather but there are "blanket feed" for heavy cloth. KHsew of Hong Kong sells a vibrating binding kit that I'm using now, nicely made but a little expensive, it is able to use very heavy webbing for binding and that's why I have it. For upholstery work it's overkill and a medium size machine would be sufficient, but some of my work making bags and cases makes this machine a good choice for me. Get someone to help you assemble it as it weighs a lot! One last note, I bought a replacement feed dog and needle plate to better sew with V138, the stock ones are huge and fabrics have a tough time with this machine as it's really designed for very heavy leather, this is a "harness sewing machine" and is designed for hard veg tanned leather and thick thread, V277-V400 or so. The accessory feed dog was made by "Wild Harry" of Australia, find him on leatherworker.net. For upholstery and light weigh canvas the smaller machines are a better buy, but if you want a monster of a sewing machine this is it. You have to get system 7x3 or 794, not a lot of variety as they are mostly for leather, as they are much longer than 135x17 needles the thinner ones deflect in material so I stick to V138 and #24 needles, the thinner ones will have trouble if they deflect in the work.
Cale, John liked this
By John
@Cale Glad to see you back!! most machines can handle any thickness if you dont run the thick thread in the bobbin. No reason in to run any higher than 92 in the bobbin.
By Cale
I ended up going with a 206rbl-18. This allowed me for the same price as the rbl-25 to get a leather skiver also. Yes, the 25 would have been nice, but I am also real about the needs of my shop. Plus, everywhere that I looked everything pointed to the Consew for what I am doing.
Thanks for the input, it has been appreciated.
MalcolmM liked this
By BigRig
@Cale, very nice and I know it sews well and is dependable. I am going to be curious how often you need to use a skiver.
John liked this
By Cale
After 3 weeks with the RBL-18 I have to say that I am very disappointed in the machine. It is not meeting my expectations. If anyone is familiar with these can you please help me with some issues or at least steer me in the right direction.
The machine will not stich consistently. It will stich one size and then start stitching another. I have it set on a 6mm stich but it is not even doing that. Also, which may be related, it will make a clunking sound in the middle of a stich. It is almost consistent in timing when this happens. I have been trying to get a consistent forward and reverse stich but have only been temporarily successful with that as well.
I have contacted the company that I bought the machine from but have had no resolve with them as of yet.
Again, if anybody has any idea please let me know. I am about one step away from sending this thing back in frustration.
Thank you.
By BigRig
@Cale, sounds like a Consew I took to the Junk. I would try a high end needle and tension on that thing may never be right. How is the thread tension pulling our of the bobbin?
By Adam12
@Cale my advice is to go through the maintenance videos posted earlier in this thread. Take the time to go through EVERY adjustment even if you think it doesn't pertain to your issue. Unless some part is actually broken or missing, i guarantee it will work once finished. Wont be a fast fix and a lot of pausing and rewinding but hang in there, it will work.
Cale liked this
By Cale
I have been through the previously mentioned videos and every other video that I can find about the machine. @BigRig I have played around with the tension as well because it didn't seem right either. I have spent hours adjusting different parts only to have them still not work properly or slip right back out of adjustment after a few minutes of sewing. I was really hoping that someone on here has seen this before and would know what to do. :grin:
Adam12 liked this
By Mtl_Biker
@Cale - What might help is if you post (repost) your message on Leatherworkers.net. In the leather sewing machine section. As great as this board is, their strength over there is incredible machine help and knowledge. Worth a try.

Sounds like you bought your machine new? Very likely it wasn't set up right from the start.

Good luck!
Cale liked this
By Mtl_Biker
Sorry, that's Leatherworker.net (without an "s"). I never type it, just use my bookmarks.
Cale liked this
By Adam12
If you put those video's specs into correct adjustment then the machine is good. Since you're still having issues, on a well adjusted machine i have seen similar issues with mis matched feet or foot wasn't all of the way down. I see you have a split toe inner foot, did you change both feet? Or just the inner? I ask because consews do not typically ship with split toe foot set. Feet have to be a matched pair or else you can get slippage and inconsistent stitches and i have seen similar issues using mis matched feet.
By Adam12
Dang, though I had something there. Things to look into: make sure you have sufficient foot pressure, feed dog height could be too high or too low but unlikely i think. Loose screw in your feed regulator assembly maybe?
Oil the hell out of it, top and bottom. Feed components sticking could be a possibility too. :pray:
By MalcolmM
If you bought the machine from a "decent" dealer they should have "sewn off" the machine to prove it was working when it left their shop. If not then I could have never been adjusted properly at the factory. It's not uncommon for machinery to be damaged in shipping and if you cannot get the machine to sew then it's "defective", where did you buy it? Sounds like the dealer needs to take care of it or ship you a new head.

I don’t think the bobbin color matters as mu[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: