Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
By Footpedal
Hi Folks ,
Thanks for having me here by the way !!
After ending up with a few machines over the years , and as I have time on my hands too, have been doing a bit of tinkering !

Some 20 years ago I purchased an old Singer 201K ,electric , with the standalone motor , from a couple in Staffordshire (from E bay £20 )
I remember trying it but having discovered a whole load of bend needles in the case base , I didnt hold out much hope it would work!!
So a few days ago , I fetched it out of the attic , and started cleaning oiling ,and partially stripping it (To check the timing ,which was my first thought!!)
I also treated it to a new motor from E bay with a new footpedal and plug ,to bring the electrics up to full spec (as the idiot that had wired up a new cable some yrs ago ,had used twisted wire and insulation tape !!! :astonished:
All 41 of the bent needles in the case bottom ,yes 41 !! ,displayed the same same ,characteristics ,and I suspected the hook had been striking the needle maybe?
Looks as if the previous owners had given up on it !! Mind you ,back then ,very little info on machines and fixes to be fair !

So having the top plate off from the machine and the strip and feed dogs ,I could fit a new needle (flat side left)and see what was happening?
All looked fine with the bobbin holder out , with the hook clearing the needle by around 2 to 3 ml but when I put the retaining ring back on the spring clip on the side nearest the locating gap (or in other words ,the end you press against ,to click it up properly ) and tried it , with plates back on ,a clicking sound corresponded to where the hook passed the needle !!

Looking under it ,though ,it was apparent the spring clip was sitting back away from the hook piece /bobbin holder body ,and was brushing the needle !!
I pressed it upwards and into the recess and pressed the other small side spring to it ,and retried it and it sewed like a dream for one pass !
But as soon as I put some stronger thread in it ,it started taking the needle thread around the hook piece and jamming every time ,and its apparent that the slightest amount of the spring sitting out proud of the hook piece, means it snags the thread all the time !!
I couldnt find a new spring anywhere , but have managed to bag a second hand hook piece and bobbin complete of the Bay !
Wondered if this was something anyone else has encountered ,or had a fix for ? :grinning:
Thanks in advance
By Mtl_Biker
Welcome to the forum.

If you don't get a good reply here about your issue, I'd suggest you post your question on the Leatherworkers web site, where there is a specific section about sewing machines. I've not found a better source for repair and adjustment information than that. https://leatherworker.net/forum/forum/5 ... -machines/
John liked this
By Footpedal

Panic over I think :zipper_mouth:
Here is the old 201K .
Its not the tidiest but it is complete and not abused as far as I can see !
The bobbin case spring has gone all the way in now ,or more correctly ,the retaining ring has rotated as far as it can go !
I fiddled last night with it for ages and after 5 or 6 goes the retainer eventually seemed to let the spring sit tight in !
So- the spring appears good ,and the problem I think I ,and the last owners had , was the retaining spring not seating as far clockwise as it should !!
41 bent needles mind !! How would you bend that many before you took a look at it ,or had someone else do so ??
Most needles appear to me to have been fitted 180 degrees round the wrong way ,if it coincides with them striking the spring edge ! Some vintage Columbia needles :slight_smile:
Stitches really nicely and is a joy to use !
I can see me getting rid of the 513 Stylist I repaired , as it might do zig zag ,but isnt a patch on this old girl !!

I have mixed the bobbin colors a lot and it doesn'[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: