Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
By Trimmerman79
I finally was able to test out my juki 1541-s sew machine today. So after threading the machine I began . Only problem is no stitch on the vinyl material just needle holes. So what am I doing wrong? I checked the hook and it looked like this. Looks like it need timing or something. Not sure where I make adjustments. Any feedback would be great. Thanks
By John
I bet its the safety clutch. First thing is to make sure the safety clutch hasn't been tripped. There is a little silver button on the bed of your machine. Press this down and rotate the hand wheel back wards. You will feel the button engage at some point ant the machine stop. Continue to push backwards with a fair amount of pressure. If you feel something click back in to place then the clutch is reset and that was your problem. If it doesn't click the clutch is already good. If it just keeps spinning backwards with out locking then there is a little part on the clutch that is broken and needs to be replaced.

I'm no expert on sewing machine repair. I usually take it to get serviced if I have a problem. But if your interested it doing it yourself here is the manual and service manual for the JUKI DNU 1541s. In here it will shows how to adjust all the settings like hook timing.
(2.26 MiB) Downloaded 550 times
(530.91 KiB) Downloaded 762 times
Let us know what you find out!
By Trimmerman79
John wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:20 pm I bet its the safety clutch. First thing is to make sure the safety clutch hasn't been tripped. There is a little silver button on the bed of your machine. Press this down and rotate the hand wheel back wards. You will feel the button engage at some point ant the machine stop. Continue to push backwards with a fair amount of pressure. If you feel something click back in to place then the clutch is reset and that was your problem. If it doesn't click the clutch is already good. If it just keeps spinning backwards with out locking then there is a little part on the clutch that is broken and needs to be replaced.

I'm no expert on sewing machine repair. I usually take it to get serviced if I have a problem. But if your interested it doing it yourself here is the manual and service manual for the JUKI DNU 1541s. In here it will shows how to adjust all the settings like hook timing.
JUKI DNU 1542s Manual.pdf
JUKI_DNU-1541-S-7EM01_SERVICE_MANUAL.pdf

Let us know what you find out!
Okay cool, :grinning: I started taking thing ps apart thinking it was something major. It looks like the hook should be in that center notch. If the safety is engaged I’m assuming this is the reason no thread is going into the material. I will try looking at the manual to see if I can fix it thanks.
By John
Yeah the tip of hook should meet right at the eye of the needle when its at the lowest position. I think... There is a specified measurement for setting this for every machine.

Also make sure that sew you found in the oil tray could have something to do with hook timing.

Hope you figure it out!
By BigRig
Needles holes Trimmerman, since you have experienced the ah crap feeling of looking down at your piece and just seeing holes remember to check that bobbin before starting. I was laying down some thread in some pleats thinking I was rocking the furnace room apart only to realize my bobbin thread emptied :disappointed:
By Revv Up
There’s good YouTube videos that show how to set the timing on different models and it’s really easy once you have done it a couple times. Usually the instructions go something like this:

Set stitch length to 0
Rotate crank by hand counterclockwise wise till the needle is at bottom dead center and rotate till needle lifts 1.5mm
At this point adjust so hook is going past the eye at .25mm away from needle.
Tighten, check and done.

Please note these are NOT the dimensions for your machine!

I found it daunting the first time until it solved a heap of problems and I didn’t have to pay someone to do it for me. If you are going to use a sewing machine learn how to set the timing and save yourself grief and money.
John liked this
By Trimmerman79
Revv Up wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:50 am There’s good YouTube videos that show how to set the timing on different models and it’s really easy once you have done it a couple times. Usually the instructions go something like this:

Set stitch length to 0
Rotate crank by hand counterclockwise wise till the needle is at bottom dead center and rotate till needle lifts 1.5mm
At this point adjust so hook is going past the eye at .25mm away from needle.
Tighten, check and done.

Please note these are NOT the dimensions for your machine!

I found it daunting the first time until it solved a heap of problems and I didn’t have to pay someone to do it for me. If you are going to use a sewing machine learn how to set the timing and save yourself grief and money.
Yeah I was working on this most of the day, checking out several videos. Mine was different then most video I watched. I think I was adjusting the hook wrong as the needle was coming down instead of when the needle come back up. Also the stitch length knob is on #7. So I didn’t zero that out. So I hope that didn’t cause any more issues.
By Trimmerman79
Okay got it finally to hook correctly and made some stitches on the scrap vinyl material. At least that issue is solved. Now as for threading and correct tension. I did a pass with stitch dial set to 7 and this is the way it came out. I’m using sunguard #92 bonded polyester thread on vinyl. I’m using size 18 needle into the material. I did notice some oil on material, is this normal?
By John
Thats great news!!! The oil is normal especially because you probably just oiled the entire machine. Sometimes is a good idea to wipe down the feet and that area at the beginning of the day. The oil can accumulate there over night.

Make %100 percent sure your threaded correctly according the diagram in the manual. I can see on your picture it looks like you have the thread mounted through the take up spring incorrectly. It also looks like the resting position of the take up spring is not set where it should be. Here is a video explaining how to set that.

After you fix that you can set the thread tension. Here is a video on how do set thread tension.

Hope this helps! Your almost there!
By Trimmerman79
John wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:37 pm Thats great news!!! The oil is normal especially because you probably just oiled the entire machine. Sometimes is a good idea to wipe down the feet and that area at the beginning of the day. The oil can accumulate there over night.

Make %100 percent sure your threaded correctly according the diagram in the manual. I can see on your picture it looks like you have the thread mounted through the take up spring incorrectly. It also looks like the resting position of the take up spring is not set where it should be. Here is a video explaining how to set that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

After you fix that you can set the thread tension. Here is a video on how do set thread tension.

Hope this helps! Your almost there!
Yeah on the takeup spring I had it threaded correct before these issues with the hook and needle. When I adjusted it, it flipped up. So I’m going to have to readjust it tomorrow. I will check out the video and the manual. Thanks, hopefully next week I can start some of your videos.
John liked this
By Hope Komla
This is great. I also realized sometimes using the wrong needle could bring about the above problem. But it's interesting contributions. Thanks for this forum.
John liked this
By Revv Up
My Yakumo likes a bigger needle for 92 thread, I’d try a 20 or 22. Some machines are really fussy when it comes to needles so I’d suggest trying a few in different sizes till you find it’s sweet spot
John liked this
By BigRig
@John,

I took it apart blew it out nothing changed at all, changed my needle and now things are running a lot smoother. I do not have a simple dial to change stitch length, this is forcing me to learn that now too.
John liked this

I’m not sure what you are using on the edge […]

Top stitch question

I use a shorter stitch (6mm) when joining panels a[…]

Good information. I'm going to check this foam pl[…]

For diamond pattern I just staple the edges about […]