Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
By Trimmerman79
I’m thinking of replacing my stitch line clutch motor on my juki 1451s sewing machine. Having difficulty controlling the speed. Sometimes it seems it has a mind of its own. I press with the same pressure each time, and get a different speed as it engages. It feels like to pulls the material hard to the right, difficult to keep straight. I have only a few hours practicing on the machine just winding any adjustments I could make before going servo motor? If I go servo, which brand and model should I get for my setup? Thanks
By John
The servo motor is a great option. It will ad lots of control. My Juki lu 562 has a clutch motor on it because that is what I am used to and I also wanted to show people in the videos that it is possible to learn and use a clutch motor. I cant remember the brand of servo motor I had when I was using the 1541s years back but looks like @bryanmartin got you a good recommendation!
Trimmerman79 wrote:
bryanmartin wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:14 am This is where I got mine. Bob is very knowledgeable and will help you sort out what you need.
http://www.tolindsewmach.com/motors.html
Thanks, but the link doesn’t work
Really sorry for this guys! Ive been trying to figure this out. The forum automatically adds HTTPS:// to every link for security reasons. But sometimes the links dont work with HTTPS.
I'm working on fixing this but in the mean time just remove the S from HTTPS and the links will work.
By Trimmerman79
John wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:12 am oh! also I have the smallest pulley I can fit on my servo motor. That helps a lot with slowing down the machine as well.
Do you mean clutch motor? Adding a small pulley? Also it just feels like it just pulls the material which causes the issues. Which do you like better clutch or servo? It seems the servo motors don’t last long. I just don’t want to keep replacing motors every year.
By John
Oh yeah sorry I meant to say "my clutch motor" . Yes putting a smaller pulley on the motor reduces the speed of the machine.

Servo motors are defiantly the better option for ease of learning how to sew. Clutch motors are fast and difficult to learn to control. With clutch motors you have to learn to slip the clutch. There is a small range where you can control the speed but you have to learn to be very precise and listen to the motor to understand where that range is.

You wont be changing motors every year with servo motors. The technology has improved a lot with servo motors. Most of the negative opinions about servo motors, I believe come from back when they were a new thing in the industry.

As for the hard pulling to the right. If its excessive you might have a problem with to much pressure on the presser foot or a timing issue with the feed dog...
But also I have never seen a machine that feeds completely straight by its self. You have to guide the fabric.
By SmokinSCustoms
@John I'm looking at potentially adding a speed reducer to my machine just to get some more control and let my motor start easier. I looked on eBay earlier and they want over $200 bucks for one. Do you know anywhere else to find "aftermarket" parts for these machines? I mean its just a pulley and a bearing.
By John
@SmokinSCustoms Do you have a clutch or servo motor on your machine. Ive never used a speed reducer before but I think it will make your machine super slow. I believe speed reducers are more used for adding power for sewing super thick leather. The really slow speed is going to make you crazy when you get better and actually want to be able to sew faster to get work done. How big is the pulley on your machine?

Also for less than $200 you can buy a servo motor and be done.
By BigRig
Smoking, you really need to get the Servo Motor it is worth every penny. I had a clutch on my Consew and lost control sewing, don't think I would have ever got used to that motor.
By SmokinSCustoms
@John I'm running a servo motor currently. The problem I'm having is this machine is extremely fast. Like 2,000 stiches a min fast. I've cranked the motor as far down as I can and sometimes I have to bump start it. I have to hand roll around corners and I just wonder if backing the machine speed down and turning the motor up would result in easier starts and better control.
By John
@SmokinSCustoms
I don't know. It sounds like you have a different problem. With a servo motor you should me able to easily adjust it to a speed that is comfortable to control and has plenty of power to sew.
To me the problem your having does not sound normal. You shouldn't need a speed reducer with a servo motor.
Have you called the place you bought the machine from yet?
Can you post a pic and the info on the motor?

Hope were able to get it figured out. Sound frustrating.
By SmokinSCustoms
@John

If you slow it down below 660 it won't even turn the machine through. I can't find the specific specs on the motor or in my paperwork, also most of its in Chinese which doesn't help me much. The machine model is a DU-1181N.

It is definitely frustrating, its a servo motor that wants to act like a clutch motor. Extremely touchy.
Attachments
Add description
Add description
IMG_3376.JPG (401.11 KiB) Viewed 24960 times
Add description
Add description
IMG_3375.JPG (629.21 KiB) Viewed 24960 times
Add description
Add description
IMG_3374.JPG (919.51 KiB) Viewed 24960 times
By Bondo497
@SmokinSCustoms
If you are looking to change motors, go to Sailrite.com, their Workhorse servo motor is supposed the best you can get your hands on. That's their words not mine, but I do have this motor and it is unbelievably controllable and strong.
John liked this
By John
@SmokinSCustoms Thats really strange.... On most servo motors I have used, when you set it to the lowest setting it wont move like your saying but as soon as you turn it up a few clicks it has plenty of power and is easily controllable. And the motor you have looks like most of the other servo motors Ive used. It shouldn't act like that.
You recently bought this machine new right? Have you called the place you bought it from yet?

@Bondo497 Yeah they are defiantly strong ans super powerful. I was impressed with it. Especially cuz it feels like a tiny light little motor when you take it out of the box.
By SmokinSCustoms
@John I haven't got in touch with them yet. Was trying to troubleshoot the problem that way I when I talked to them I'd be a bit more knowledgeable. I'll give them a call and explain the issues and see if they have any ideas. Maybe just a smaller pulley swap might do the trick? This machine can run WAY faster than I would ever want to sew. I don't know who would want to lay down 2,000 stitches a minute.

I don’t think the bobbin color matters as mu[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: