General discussions about our craft and industry.
By Cody
Some of you are already doing this, but for those that aren’t, or those that may be new to the upholstery business. Always, get a down payment. This is to cover the cost of supplies and a bit of your labor. Depending on the job, it varies between 25-50% of the job total. The reason I’m saying this now, is because of the situation I’m in. I had work in my shop before the state started shutting this down, and quarantining us. Each person reacts differently to this and to each there own. But for over a month I’ve had close to $7000 in work that I still need to get paid for. I luckily took a down payment for this and I’m still doing okay. But people are worried and don’t want to come pick up their stuff, or pay sight unseen for the work. I don’t blame them, and I’m okay with this now given the current situation, and I have space to do so, but not sure how much more space. Needless to say, if I hadn’t taken any money up front, I’d be sitting on a lot of debt and owed money. You never know what could happen like I wasn’t expecting this. Like I said I’m doing okay and there are people who are coming to get their stuff and pay. Just a reminder of situations that may arise that could change everything if you don’t plan ahead.
John liked this
By John
Great point @Cody Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear your doing ok. Hopefully you'll get paid soon.
By BigRig
Also getting paid for materials really shows at least some commitment and you got their car
John liked this
By Cody
Yeah give them piece of mind that you’re not just putting them in the back burner, like @BigRig said
John liked this
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: