General discussions about our craft and industry.
By Plh
Hi, I understand that Serafil thread is intended as an interior thread, but would anyone consider using it as a decorative top stitch thread on a motorcycle seat. I am having trouble acquiring a 10 or 15 tkt thread in a bonded polyester here in the UK, but can get Serafil in the correct sizes. I wondered whether anyone uses Serafil for bike seats. I do not imagine that the seats I would be using it on would see any extreme conditions. Regards, Paul.
John liked this
By John
You would probably be fine using serafil. You should consider serabond its made by the same company and has better UV resistance. Most suppliers that carry Serafil also carry Serabond.
By Plh
Hi John, Thanks for your reply. I would choose serabond... but I can t seem to source that or any other bonded polyester in the larger sizes in a colour. I have contacted all the suppliers in the uk and they either don’t stock them , or they are just not interested in supplying in small quantities. I can source bonded polyester up to a 138/20tkt but nothing larger. You are so fortunate in the U.S. to have such good suppliers like the thread exchange. The only polyester thread (in a 10/15 tkt in a colour) I can buy is the Serafil . My gut feeling is that the Serafil would be fine.. . I was just looking for some sort of confirmation. I may end up buying from the U.S. thanks again. Paul.
By John
Yeah getting supplies to the UK is getting really difficult for companies due to all the new brexit regulations... You should be fine with serafil a lot of guys use that in the states on everything.
By Plh
Thanks for your advice John. I was considering making an order with The Thread Exchange in North Carolina... they have a great selection of thread at reasonable prices I think. regards, Paul.
By BigRig
It has a nice sheen for Top Stitching. Keep in mind it is not going to have the strength as the Serabond but will last long if the bike is a weekend tripper.

I don’t think the bobbin color matters as mu[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: