General discussions about our craft and industry.
By Ddedman
I have a new addition to the shop. After being let down again (constant timing issues) by my consew 206 I bought myself a new used machine. I sewed on it all day today and what a difference.
It's a Juki 1541. It only had a few hours on it. Still had the protective film on tag. So far I really like it. Now I need to have a true technician look at the consew.
John liked this
By Rug Dr.
I have a Consew 1541s Premier. I has a knob on top to help it walk up and over thick material, and there's a button on the bed the resets the timing, it's a great machine. Getting to the bobbin is a pain, thank God it's a big bobbin.
By Rug Dr.
One issue. The bobbin winder, when it starts to slip take out the three screws and clean the oil off the rubber wheel, and the ridged contact wheel inside.
John liked this
By Revv Up
Excellent choice, I have had mine for 3 years and it’s still a treat to sit down to.
By Mtl_Biker
Good for you! I've heard only good things about the Juki 1541. It's kinda like the gold standard of machines.

But about the timing problems with the Consew 206... I only got into sewing when Covid started (had to do something while businesses here were forced to close) and my first industrial machine was a 206RB-5. I absolutely love it. But I really knew nothing about adjusting the machine or the inner workings of it. I lubed it, and that's about all. Then I started having some problems, possibly due to the bobbin holder not having been properly installed and popping out. There was some kind of mechanical noise and once I cleaned out the thread jam I found the machine wouldn't sew.

Like an idiot, I then started adjusting things and I got the machine totally out of whack. I hadn't realized that the safety clutch mechanism had kicked in and didn't suspect it because the machine appeared to still be sewing... meaning the needle bar went up and down when I turned the hand wheel or used the foot pedal. I didn't realize that would still work when the safety clutch activated. Anyway, my "shotgun" approach to fixing things only made it all much worse.

The bottom line is that after a week of evenings trying things, I ended up following the outstanding Consew maintenance video (there are two of them) step by step and re-adjusting EVERYTHING. I went slowly and double checked everything. I was such a novice that I didn't even understand at first at which point the rotary hook needed to reach the needle. But I did get everything working again and if I may say so, perfectly so. I learned a ton by doing this.

So, I don't know what your plans are for your 206, but I'm sure the timing problems can be corrected. And that's a really good machine. I've got to say though, that when I had my machine not working and I was frustrated beyond belief, I really did start thinking of buying a new Juki to replace it. I'm glad I stuck with it though, as it's really a good machine.

If you haven't seen the videos, here's a link to the Part One video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ACNMX65zE&t=3504s
John liked this
By BigRig
I was in a trim shop recently and there were about 08 sewing stations with Jukis and One old 206 Consew and it was the best machine of them all they told me for sewing through thick materials.
By Ddedman
Yes. The 206 has been a powerhouse of a machine when not being tempermental. I just did a big repair project with the juki and have to say I prefer it over the 206. I've have seen and used that video also. Great resource. The 206 will be going to a repairs shop in a neighboring city. The local one touched it last and there wasn't much improvement.
John liked this

With a vision to empower and inspire our customers[…]

First Project - Cube Stool

Sleek contemporary furniture combined with a neutr[…]

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]