General discussions about our craft and industry.
By Rug Dr.
How many here use the prewound bobbins? I'm sure they are super convenient to reach in a drawer and pull one out and pop it in. I've seen them for sale but never really thought about them, with most machines having a built in bobbin winder it seems easier, but in some cases a pain in the butt.
By BigRig
@Rug Dr. , I know John here uses them and really likes them. I think doing a job with lots of the same color thread I may opt for this next time to save time.
By Revv Up
I don’t use them because I buy tons of extra bobbins and wind them as I sew, usually I keep 2-4 wound for each colour.
By John Long
The only reason I would be tempted to start using prewound bobbins is I hate emptying the end of the used bobbin and I am just too cheap to throw the old bobbin away. It would be nice to toss it and grab another one.

I have always wound my own up to this point.

John Long
By Mtl_Biker
I have never tried prewound bobbins (at least not yet) and I hesitate to try them because I've often heard about something called thread memory... particularly with heavier threads and more often the stiffer black threads. I'm probably not advanced enough to tell the difference but many experienced sewers say that thread that is left wound on a bobbin for a long time gets a curl that affects the stitch quality.

I wonder if this is really an issue to be concerned about in practice. Maybe not with v69 and lighter threads. Has anyone here heard of this?
By Rug Dr.
When the thread looks like a pig's tail it's time to change the bobbin, or at a minimum to check it before you go to much further. As far as it messing up a stitch I have yet to experience that.
By Mtl_Biker
BigRig wrote:@Mtl_Biker , I have experienced this and ever get to Cornwall area?

I've certainly been to Cornwall, but not recently... not since before Covid actually. I have no plans to head that way but I may visit Ottawa in the next few weeks.

Cheers!
By John
I almost always use prewond bobbins unless its a special onetime thread color. They are massive time savers.
John Long liked this
By Rug Dr.
BigRig wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:19 am @Mtl_Biker , I have experienced this and ever get to Cornwall area?

Cornwall with that smelly sulphur burning? Well it used to smell many years ago, if the wind was right crossing the bridge was good.
By Rug Dr.
Other side of the river. Born and raised. My mother is from Morrisburg, 90 % of my relatives are Canadian EH.. We used to hit the beach by the church, my aunt and uncle lived across the road from it, always like to hear the bag pipes. My brother and I would hit the golf course and pinch balls off the course, some may have been in play, some not.
By Rug Dr.
Yes on the smokes, and everything else. My brother used to run smokes once in a while, the bigger the stash the bigger the reward. Little bit harder for the Mohawks to cross the bridge since 9-11, they card just wave a card anymore.
John liked this
By Rug Dr.
Boat, he don't need no stinking boat. he had an old doge colt wagon with a nice false floor.
By TimothyB
Mtl_Biker wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:11 pm I have never tried prewound bobbins (at least not yet) and I hesitate to try them because I've often heard about something called thread memory... particularly with heavier threads and more often the stiffer black threads. I'm probably not advanced enough to tell the difference but many experienced sewers say that thread that is left wound on a bobbin for a long time gets a curl that affects the stitch quality.

I wonder if this is really an issue to be concerned about in practice. Maybe not with v69 and lighter threads. Has anyone here heard of this?
I have been using pre-wound bobbin's with the magnetic side for my embroidery machine for about 8 years now. I have never had an issue however, on embroidery the back side is not something to look at. I intend to use them for my new sewing machine for white and black, if I need any other colors then I will wind my own of what I need.
John liked this
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: