General discussions about our craft and industry.
By Paul Williams
I have completed my first door panel and it came out nice for the first complete panel but the total thickness is not allowing the door to close flush as before. I have not checked out for sure what it may be but I believe the old windlace is to large, any other ideas?
6inarow, Tuttah liked this
By 19stitches
Your door panel looks awesome!
Did you make your panel board from the original panel board? Could it be a tad oversized?
John liked this
By Paul Williams
Thank you for saying it looks good. I did use the original for a pattern but I did actually fit the panel after I cut it and trimmed it to fit. After being covered the panel still fits the door very well, no overhang can be seen. I have found that where the door sill trim meets the wind lace appears to be the worst area, although it fits the door profile in that area you can see it shows that area as being tight.
By John
Hi @Paul Williams That panel looks awesome! Nice work :thumbsup:

I would start by removing the door panel and shutting the door to confirm that it does in fact close flush. Sometimes hinges and door latches can fall out of alignment.

If it does close flush then it is defiantly the door panel. You will need to determine where the panel is causing interference to not allow the door to close properly.
Then you probably have to modify something to allow extra clearance.

Once you figure out the exact location of the issue please post some detailed pictures of the problem area and we will be able to advise you on the best way to correct the problem.
By Paul Williams
Thank you John, I was just out in the shop starting on the opposite side door and did some looking and I have not found an issue yet. I will do as you suggested and post what I find.
By Paul Williams
I completed the second door panel for the passenger side today and it was the same. I removed the rear panel to get access to the windlace and removed it, the door shut perfectly. I need to investigate further but I believe they re-used the original windlace and just added another layer of vinyl to it, it is very hard and stiff.
John liked this
By Paul Williams
Update: I was incorrect with my diagnosis, what I didnt think about at the same time I removed the windlace I also removed the scuff plate which has a raised rib the length of the door, that is what is holding things up. I will most likely need to step that area or change the design because the black area of the panel is a double thickness panel area with 1/8 inch thick foam. I will post pictures later.
John liked this
By 6inarow
Damn that looks nice. Is the gray part just a separate panel you added to the door ir are all 3 of those colors sewn together
By John
That is most likely 2 separate panels laid in to a main panel. The red portion is probably the main door panel made from 1/8 panel with 1/4 closed cell on top.
The grey and black parts are a separate 1/8' panel with 1/8" closed cell. The shapes are cut out of the 1/4" closed cell on the main panel and then the other panels with 1/8" foam are pressed in place and stapled from the back to attach them to the main panel.

I hope that makes sense!
MarineVinylFabric ?

Has anyone used Marine Vinyl Fabric vinyl for thei[…]

With a vision to empower and inspire our customers[…]

First Project - Cube Stool

Sleek contemporary furniture combined with a neutr[…]

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]