General discussions about our craft and industry.
I am not sure. I am just getting atarted myself. But i think custom is the way to go. People paying good money want something no one else has i would think. That being said i would think it best to copy an existing pattern. That way you would start to learn more about the design and why a given pattern is the way it is..... if that makes sense. My thinking is that the original designers did what they did for a reason.
LeatherJohnny liked this
You can do a custom seat with original seat patterns. Just draw your design out on the seat before you cut apart. Then cut it apart on your designs and add seam allowance.

Personally, I like to make my own templates unless the seat cover is in great shape. However, most of the factory seat covers I have done are in terrile shape and stretched etc.... I found when the seat is in bad shape it's easier for me to just draw on the foam and make a template out of clear plastic.

Unfortunately, making a custom template costs you more money and is a little more time involved then using the original seat cover.
John, LeatherJohnny, Cale liked this
There isn't really one right answer to this question. For me It depends on job and the quality your being paid for. Using the the original cover for your pattern is much faster. Making your own patterns usually results in a better finish but takes much longer. Some customers want a quick recover and aren't expecting high end show quality. You have to decide what is needed for the individual job and make sure that you account for the difference in time.
LeatherJohnny, Cale liked this
Yes patterns can get stretched out. You have to be a little bit of a detective and try to understand how the piece was originally. Focus on getting the seam edges of the pattern to lay flat and natural. Don't worry it that creates a bubble in the middle. The new piece with stretch to fit the shape. If a pattern is to stretched and worn out sometimes its better to make your own.
LeatherJohnny liked this
BigRig wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:36 pm Thanks guys. I have noticed that the original patterns get stretched out or are certainly not as formed as they were when original.

I am doing pretty good so far with copying the original pattern so will stick with that for now.
As a newbie, I am struggling with this. Trying to understand how much stretch there really has been on the material and how far I can stretch my new material. Eventually I'll find the balance.
BigRig wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:54 pm @Todds34rod ,

Great Job on that new foam! How did you contour that to be so smooth?
Sorry, haven't been on here in a while.

That foam your talking about is a Bowen seat foam that I adapted to a stock frame.
I have made several with a band saw but it very time consuming.

I'll attach an example of their foams and frames. It costs more to buy the seat and frame but I feel the time savings offsets the extra cost.

Unless you're like me and mark the underside for y[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: