By GiriX1000
Hi All,
Recently got a Juki LU 563 and the full Lucky Needle courses. I have done a few pre-made cover installs but sewing is fairly new to me.

One thing I haven't seen addressed yet is replacing individual panels in seats, such as a damaged side bolster or seating surface.

When you unstitch the damaged panel what is the technique for installing the replacement panel. Obviously we can include seam allowance on the replacement panel, but what to do about the seam allowance on the original cover pieces? I am assuming you do not sew down the old stich lines which would likely be weak?

Do you trim off the old seam allowance at the stitch line and make the replacement panel larger? Adjust seam allowances to be as small as possible?

I see this as being even trickier if the replacement panel is to be single reinforced or French stitched to an adjacent panel. I would assume this requires replacing multiple panels if not a majority or all of the cover.

Thanks!
By Ddedman
I might be able to offer some suggestions for you. I basically self taught myself in doing these repairs and in all reality am still learning on each repair I do. Side bolsters are the most common of course because they see the most friction. It’s important to figure out in what order the seat was put together by looking and the seems and how they are sewn together. Once you have that WRITTEN DOWN start tearing the seams apart gently in the reverse order until the section needing repair is free. Pattern it using the old section. Leave the selvage the same or things will be wonky. If the old seem is not strong enough to handle the stress of sewing then it needs to be replaced as well. When sewing this seem between old and new give yourself a little more selvage or seam allowance (just a tad) so that you don’t see the old seem when everything is put back together. Go slow and no it will not fit the foam exactly. Steaming helps allot but if that’s not available then good a little heat and massaging works. Let me know if you have more questions. I’m sure that someone else will chime in as well. There is more than one way to skin this cat. My way is only 1.
John liked this
By John
Great advice @Ddedman ! I do it essentially the same way.

I have a YouTube video on this topic here.

I dont do many seat repairs anymore as they can be more trouble than they are worth. Most customers dont understand how much work it actually takes to do this. Also you will never find an exact color and grain match witch is another thing customers do want to acknowledge. Just make sure that if you are doing these jobs for customers that you are charging what your time is worth.
Matt Hamblin liked this
By Ddedman
"Just make sure that if you are doing these jobs for customers that you are charging what your time is worth." Ahh man I new I missed something. Another point to the seat repair side of things is the filth. They’re never clean.
By John
Haha yeah they really are usually filthy. If you dont need the work I recommend quoting those jobs at a price that will make you smile. If you dont get the job it wasn't worth your time and you can focus on better jobs / customers.
Minimum 3 hours to make a repair like that if you have to remove and install the seat yourself. Most people wont want to pay that much for a seat repair...
I have this happen a lot. Being a new business and part time I can't afford to pass up work and it fills the time in between bigger jobs. I definitely feel like it is a lot more work than it is worth sometimes. Not wanting to make a career from that type of work but it is a good way to build a network and customer base as well as get a good reputation. I have had to increase my pricing slightly to make it a little more feasible in the meantime.

I usually do the same thing @John and @Ddedman suggested. Just make the seam allowance just slightly larger on the insert or whatever part is being reused so you can't see the holes. I replace collars and blockers a lot and they have been coming out great (according to the customers). Just go slow and keep an eye on your seam allowance and you will do great.
John liked this
By GiriX1000
Hi All,
Thanks for the insight. Not looking to do this professionally but have a lot of my own projects that often just need small repairs like this. I can see how this becomes more effort than it is worth when trying to charge a customer a fair amount and make some profit.

Thanks,
Aaron
John liked this

I have some basic upholstery experience but have b[…]

Boat project

Wow, that's a lot of curves for your first project[…]

When you sew the corners ease the vinyl in as much[…]

Top stitch question

I use a shorter stitch (6mm) when joining panels a[…]