By JoeTheRoofer
Hi, all. I'm going to be reupholstering these thunderbird seats. I've found a place that has the exact vinyl match, but it isn't exactly cheap. I have two questions. How would I calculate the yardage I need of the light blue and dark blue?
Second question is regarding the foam. Mine is all crumby (literally) and to get the nice contour of the original seats, should I go with new foam made to fit (re-e-e-eal expensive), or attempt to form my own?
By Matt Hamblin
I usually estimate around 4 yards a seat. That way you should have enough for any long pieces like welt wraps and you can adjust the pieces to accommodate for proper stretch direction. Being 2 different colors you may need more depending on how big your sections are. Maybe 1 or 2 yards of the insert color and 3 of the primary.
As far as foam. That is up to you. If you can get pre made foam that is ready to go it will save you a bunch of labor but they are sometimes pricey. If you are comfortable shaping and templating new foam, i would go for it.
All up to you, this is how i normally go but others may have more input. @John
By John
I always quickly estimate and over estimate because its good to have extra material in case of mistakes and material is usually cheaper than your time. If the material is super expensive you can measure and calculate each piece and figure out exactly how much you need but this is time consuming and leaves you with no room for errors.
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: