By LiaSquareBody
Hey there,

I am new to auto reupholstery and had a question dealing with some pinching I’m having around curves. I just finished my first project. It’s a bench seat for a tow truck, and I am seeing pinching around every curve. What am I doing wrong?

Attached are a few photos.

Thanks in advance!

Lgwasi liked this
By Mikesimpson
What you've done so far looks really good! If you were to have added a top stitch to that seam most all of that waviness would be straightened out. Looks like you could add a little foam in those spots to help fill the cover out some more and make those go away. Did you trim the seam allowance off the backside in those spots? The seam allowance will pucker in those spots going around a curve without trimming or a top stitch to hold it in place.
DEH liked this
By Matt Hamblin
@LiaSquareBody
I think we all have run into that. It is usually the seam is not all folding the same way. So when it is being slid on the seam folds to the left and for whatever reason gets bent to the right and so on. Sometimes it may just be due to some slack behind the cover where the foam could be built up more to compensate as well. Hope this helps! Looks really nice too!
By vicstric
trim the seam allowance to about 1/8 inch and steam or carefule use of heat gun... or lay it in the sun for a while (it IS summer in Texas). Even with the seam allowance trimmed back try and make ure the seam allowance lays in the same direction. Great job on the seat by the way. Looks very god overall.
By John
Yep! all the advice is spot on here. I second the steam. A good steamer is your best friend. It helps relax the thread and fabric allowing it to smooth out when pulled tight.

Fantastic job for your first project! you should be proud!

I don’t think the bobbin color matters as mu[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: