By vicstric
Hey guys! I have a question about some of the vinyl i have removed from some seats in my short time doing boat seats. Sometimes the vinyl i take off has a soft, seemingly unwoven, material on the back side. It is not the woven materil I see on all my new vinyl. The question is: is thsi unwoven stuff just cheap (it feels very cheap) or is there other desirable qualities to using something like this on my new seat covers? It is stretchier perhaps? I know some of the new vinyl i get barely stretches at all and that leads to fitment problems when going aroud a curved foam. I have heard that some of the "stretch" vinyl is not as durable as the normal vinyl. Any answers or comments?
By John
Yeah that vinyl is why you are replacing the covers. It is not near as durable as the woven backed stuff your used too. Its hard to even find vinyl that type of vinyl.

Factories like it because its cheep and stretchy so they can have more wiggle room a poor sewing job, pattern making or install.

I always use the woven backed quality vinyl. With some steam you can get that vinyl to do pretty much anything. Sometines on crazy shapes you will need to use 4 way stretch vinyl if you dont want a seam in the cover.
By vicstric
I guess I should get back to the reason for the question. Certain boat seats have a lot or "roundness" (for lack of a better term for it). I have seen recover jobs that look pretty good but i have been afraid to step of in it with the normal vinyl I have been using as I don't think it will stretch enough to get the roundness. See example:
By John
Oh yeah bass boat seats are difficult! Make sure to pad your hours on those.
With lots of steam and yelling I have done many of those with the normal vinyl. It is possible. I dont recommend using that type of vinyl that it comes from the factory with. It just doesn't last.
Explain this to the customer and ask if you can put extra seams in to make it easier. and use lots of steam.
vicstric liked this
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: