By Matt Hamblin
Hoping for some suggestions here. Finished this engine hatch last month and within a few weeks of being used there is one seam that the vinyl is tearing from the thread. It also created a buckle next to it. Not sure what the best course would be to remedy the problem, being that I've not done one like this before and also the fact that it will be extremely difficult to remove this cover and probably nearly impossible to restretch it back on. Not sure if the fabric is just crap and im screwed, or if the backing should always be thicker, or whatever. Just can't afford come backs like that.
By John
I feel like its crappy fabric or maybe the cover is just pulled too tight but the entire cover doesn't look too tight. Possibly your needle.

What type of needle point are you using? If you are using any type of leather needle it will cause vinyl to rip like this.
By Mikesimpson
What size thread are you using? A 21 needle seems pretty big for a blind stitch, but I wouldn't think it would cause this issue.
By Mikesimpson
If you have any extra material left from this job you could also stitch up a couple of test pieces and pull at the seam to see if you get the same result. Also do a couple of pieces of material you trust also to see if its just an issue with the vinyl material. Wouldn't take long to do and might give you a better ideal what's going on.
By Matt Hamblin
T90 was the seam allowance stitching and 138 for the top stitching. I use the same size on every job with out issues so that's why this surprised me. The white is enduratex marine vinyl. I've always had good luck with them before but now im not so sure. The cover is pulled very tight to get all the patterns straight so it does have a lot of tension. But so does the rest of the cover and no other spots tore like that. So not sure why it happened exactly, just want to learn from it and not make the mistake again. Im gonna have to remove the entire cover and replace that panel from the look of it. I don't see any other way.
John liked this
By Revv Up
Mikes right, that sucks… such nice looking work. I tend to topstitch this sort of work as it takes the stress off the first seam.
Matt Hamblin liked this
By Matt Hamblin
Thanks, it looks like it'll be something we work on over this winter so they can continue to use the boat. I'll probably replace that main piece of white and hopefully the rest is salvageable. May try a white top stitch to strengthen it. (With a smaller needle). Thanks for the input! Live and learn i guess.
John liked this

I don’t think the bobbin color matters as mu[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: