By bibeejh
Hey guys, do any of you have a tip on making patterns from scratch on smaller items like motorcycle seats? What materials do you use to transfer the patterns? Thanks in advance.
By Revv Up
Go to Sailrites YouTube channel and search “motorcycle seat cover” they have a good video.

There’s more ways but I’m just running out the door for a while.... street bike or dirt?
By Revv Up
Or turn off the volume and watch this

This has narration

Lastly

Just chose what works best for you, for dirtbike seats quite often I will just sew on a bit of a noseing and stretch / staple. Dirt bikes see a lot of water so no seams can be a bonus.
John, LeatherJohnny liked this
By John
Welcome to the forum @bibeejh !! Happy to have you here.

I draw out my seams on the seat foam. Then I use clear vinyl to make patterns off the seat I drew the design on. Then use those patterns to cut out the fabric.
I hope that makes sense
Revv Up liked this
By bibeejh
Mostly Harley stuff right now. I've done dirt bikes that same way they're pretty simple. The curves and such on the bigger bikes make things a little more interesting. I've done a few custom covers using the old cover as a pattern but haven't found a way to pattern off the foam very well.

John, are you referring to the same stuff boat cover windows would be made of?
By John
@bibeejh yes but much thinner and less expensive. You just want to use what ever is the cheapest available to you. 7or 8 gauge is good. But anything 4 - 12 gauge will be fine. I think I was using 12 gauge in the custom seats course because that's what I had around. But It would be smarter to get something cheaper than 12 gauge.

Ive also heard of people using clear shower curtains from the dollar store also....

I even used a clear trash bag once in a pinch. I don't recommend it but got the job done.
LeatherJohnny liked this
By BigRig
@bibeejh,

Just keep your eye out for anything clear going up and down isles shopping. Anything you can get your hands on will be helpful. You will be going through that clear plastic pretty quick!
LeatherJohnny liked this
By bibeejh
Great ideas! I've been in the military too long now to think outside of the box it seems, lol. Also, the first video was one I hadn't seen before, I didn't even think of masking tape even though I use tapes on a daily basis to transfer patterns for sheet metal work. Thanks for the insights I'll see you around the forum!
John liked this
By John
@bibeejh Happy to help! Thank you for your service. We wouldn't be able to do stuff like this forum and other projects if not for people like you. I hope youll post some pictures of your seat when its finished :grinning:
By BigRig
@bibeejh,

You must have access to some military grade vinyl, would make for some nice seating mixed with canvas. Take a look at what Revv up has done.
John liked this
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: