By Jace
@Cody You’re so right.

I just came across this Pfaff on Ebay- does anyone know which model it is? Just looking at the photos and comparing on Google I’m guessing an old 1245??
Any good?
By John
Jace wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:34 am Hey, any thoughts on top load vs side loading bobbins?
It doesn't really matter but I feel like the side load bobbins are a little easier and faster to install.
By IvanD
I'm just not sure about eBay part. Used machine IS ok. But It's nice if you can come in and see it working before buying. Preferably bring material you want to sew and maybe even thread. Let owner show you how to thread it and do couple seams. Takes 15 minutes but you will know that they know how to use it and it works.
Kra z Bill, John liked this
By Jayscanvas
My thoughts on side load verse top load bobbin machine. Top load machines are a lot more picky if you don’t hold your threads super tight you will get a crazy jam. Top loading machines usually have larger bobbins so that a benifits. Also top loaders are easy to check how much bobbin you have left when you are sewing
John liked this
By Jace
Thanks for the info on the bobbin loading difference. :thumbsup:

@IvanD I found that machine on ebay but what’s great is that it’s only about an hour drive from me and the seller recommends coming out to check it anyways. It couldn’t be more perfect!
John liked this
By IvanD
Does it have servo motor? Mine is newer 1245 and I like it a lot. This one is German made. If it works- it’s great machine. There is a lot of aftermarket parts available
By EmmaLove
Buy old quality portable ones on eBay. I recommend Elna machines from the 1970s. Or a Singer grasshopper.

I purchased an Elna TSP for under $150 including shipping. It stitches absolutely beautifully and also does buttonholes & decorative stitching.

In addition to quality needles, use high-quality threads in all machines. Mettler is best, Gutterman is good.
By Jace
Thank you for the info 😊
I ended up buying a new Singer Heavy Duty 4423 for AUD 300 but I would still like a “real” upholstery machine.
I’ve not run into any problems sewing relatively thick material yet- denim with scrim and piping no problem with the “walking foot” attachment . My only complains so far is the short stitch length- max 4mm. Top stitching just doesn’t look good at that short a stitch length.
I’ve even been able to run M20 thread (T-135) and a size 20 needle.
Definitely not my dream machine but it does the job for now.
John liked this
By mat.page
People with no experience in sewing often believe that the same machine can handle any kind of fabric. However, this is a misconception.

Let’s give a simple analogy: the hair salon doesn’t cut hair with manicure scissors, it is pointless and ineffective. It’s about the same in the sewing business. For thicker and dense materials (denim, upholstery fabrics, etc.) there are special devices developed. Criteria for selection:

Motor power. If you consider computer models, the parameter should be at least 45 W, for electromechanical models the value is higher – 75 W.
The presence of the upper and lower conveyor belt. The latter should be mentioned separately. It should have a maximum number of teeth. Why do you need them? It is with their help that the fabric moves forward, does not stop under the foot. If there are not enough teeth (for example, no front teeth) the material will remain in one place, and the needle will punch the same hole.
Weight and material. When working with thick fabrics, the lightweight tool will start to vibrate too much, bounce. Simple sewing machines for beginners won’t work here. The minimum weight for such a machine is 10 pounds or more. It is desirable to choose a machine made from a metal alloy or full metal construction.
Walking foot. This accessory will help you sew dense fabrics in several layers, so make sure that it is included.
If you are going to work with drapes, tarpaulins, and other similar materials, do not buy a budget home appliance.

Such models can’t cope with dense fabric, although the manufacturers say that the technique can sew a few layers. There is a share of truth here: it is really possible to pierce, but it is unlikely to sew. At attempts to work on an inappropriate model you will get the maximum shuttle displacement or needle plate breakage, but not a good result.
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: