By preston.rea
I've been using aerosol glue for a couple of projects. Has worked very well but is an expensive way to go. How long can you leave glue in a pneumatic spray gun before everything clogs up? Would like to use one but would probably only use it every couple of weeks. Great site and great videos!
John liked this
By John
Welcome to the forum @preston.rea !! Cool profile picture!

This is the gun I use. https://amzn.to/2pP3tEX
PSI= 80-90
This is the glue I recommend to always use. Dap Weldwood Landau Top Contact Cement https://amzn.to/2pT3TtP
I don't clean the gun except for the pot breather hole and the face of the cup. Just leave the glue in the pot. Next time you need to use it just spray the gun on to a piece of cardboard until it sprays clean. If it wont. Dump the glue and replace with fresh glue.

I have left glue sitting in the gun for months and I'm always able to spray it clean. Sometimes you need to replace with fresh glue if the glue in the pot has thickened. But you can save that old glue in a jar for projects that you have to paint on by hand.
By Scott D
I used to use ones like John posted, harbor freight models. I have kind of up graded to a 2 quart pressure it, it works much better. I do a lot of boat carpet, and trying to spray up side down is a pain with a syphon gun. I use a Binks 2001 gun with 2.8 mm tip the put is a Devilbiss, it's a $600.00 set up, it's not for everyone. I also use it to spray gelcoat, so it's best suited for that. You can find cheap 2 quart pressure pots on ebay or harbor freight, it's nice not having to hold a quart of glue plus the pot and gun. You might want to check this one out

You can put the glue into a cheap plastic bucket, or if you buy a 1 gallon can it should drop right in. I just bought a 5 of weldwood from ZORO, 137 bucks, free shipping, it's a good price if you don't want to drive 90 miles like I would have to do. Weldwood is the poop, it bonds fast when it's warm, like 80 plus. I like to carpet boats when it's 100 plus, spray both parts, slap it together, the bond is instant.
By preston.rea
Thanks John and Scott. This is great information and I will definitely try this out. Have been enjoying all the info. and videos. Saves a lot of time over trying things by trial and error.
John liked this
By JMasters
I recently shot the Landau glue, initially trying at 20-40 psi (I had a prior gun bulge on me when I accidentally had it at 100+ psi)

Of course, it didn't shoot well. A quick google found 80-90 psi, but the glue kept coming out way too globby.

Despite my adjusting, it kept "sticking" towards one of the nozzle "nubs" or otherwise "pulling down" and not spraying properly. I went through a gallon before the headliner (van) was done), and it turned out crummy (you could see the glue spray texture through the headliner).

Not sure what I was doing wrong, because efforts to close down the feed supply screw heavily didn't give me any spray, just dribbling out.

I don't know if I had a defective gun or what... and trying to find toluene (toluol) or xylene for cleanup of the gun proved fruitless.

What are others using for cleanup? I used mineral spirits in a pinch, but it didn't clean it very well. The gun's probably ruined now, but if it's this defective, then probably no great loss.
By John
@JMasters What type of glue and gun were you using? Do you know how old the glue was? Also what temperature was it the day you were spraying? That glue gets harder to spray when it really cold.
Sometimes if the glue is old it will thicken up and wont spray well. Some people think Im crazy for this but you can thin contact cement a little with acetone. If you look up the MSDS sheet for landau top contact cement it contains acetone in it already.

I use A&L Malco Cosmoline remover for glue clean up. Its the best I have found.
http://www.malcoautomotive.com/A___L_Co ... tails.aspx
By JMasters
It was brand new glue. Temps were about 68.

Gun was purchased at home Depot a few years ago. Typical spray gun. Screw on top. (it disgorged glue once or twice from cross threading. Need to get a half twist top type.
By Scott D
I just did several yards of boat carpet. I have the air jacked up to 120 to air up some tires. I turned it down to 40 psi at the compressor and about 15-20 at the pressure pot. It came out perfect, I also use a binks valve to adjust the air at the gun. To much air and it gets nasty.
John liked this
By John
@JMasters Sounds like your using a gravity feed gun with the tank on top of the gun? These guns dont need a lot of psi to work. But most likely your tip is too small on that gun. Its probably meant for spraying thinner products.
By JMasters
Sorry, I didn't see this thread earlier. This was a quart pot under the gun. I bought a new gun at Harbor Freight. (the needle size escapes me at this time of the morning, but it was one recommended by someone elsewhere on this site.)

One day I'll give it another shot... Have some other projects in the queue.
John liked this
By Mr. B
:grinning: I just cleaned out my glue gun after four and one half years. It's a cup gun. I always just add glue to it ,and after all the years It just didn't work rite. Sprays like a champion now.
John liked this
By BigRig
My glue gun @ john is spraying kinda like Prestons. I was not too concerned until I have had to adhere OEM fabric to the sew foam and man NOT good. You can see the globs even small under the fabric. Just a review for us all what is the PSI you are using for this type of gun. Mine is like yours John.
By Cody
Haven’t tried this with glue but considering it, cause it helps a ton with clean up. I was wasting a lot of thinner cleaning up my old binks cup gun I use for my thicker primers. I don’t have a thinner recycler or anything of that nature. Cup guns take more thinner to clean than gravity guns I find. But I know that gravity guns were able to take plastic liners, so searched online for cup gun liners. Harbor freight sells them, less than $1 for 10 liners. Use the 20% of coupon with it and you can’t beat the price. I use about 2/3 less thinner cleaning it out now. Just pull the liner up and set it aside till it dries, and throw it away. Was thinking this might work good for glue. You just have to clean the stem and gun itself, no cup.
By Rug Dr.
Weldwood doesn't like plastic containers. I put it into small squeeze bottles to get into tight spots at the end of the job. If I leave the glue i it it will harden up inside within a day or two, best to drain it back into the can.
John liked this
By Cody
I think that’s more cause squeeze bolts aren’t the best at sealing for long term. If it doesn’t eat away the plastic. The liners seal as the cup does normally.
By John
Hey @Ken I typically do 70-90 psi. Your in the extreme cold though so you might consider thinning with acetone to get it to spray better.
By BigRig
@John,
I think you are right on the cold factor. The spray was pretty good at 90 psi but still pretty thick.

With a vision to empower and inspire our customers[…]

First Project - Cube Stool

Sleek contemporary furniture combined with a neutr[…]

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]