By Marian
Hi, my first post and I hope someone can advise me. I have two Ercol sofas to overhaul for family. When I got the original cushions with foam they were in such a sad state that I couldn’t use any of the measurements for replacements and had to make templates from the original frames to order new foam - this part has been successful. The foam manufacturer has supplied med. reflex foam 5” thick for the seat cushion and 3” thick for the back cushions. All are covered in Dacron and stockinette. Going to use the templates to cut the material for the new covers and need advice as to how much extra allowance to add to make a neat and snug fitting cover - don’t want it slackening off or wrinkling once sofas are in use. Was thinking an allowance of an extra 0.5” added to the template would be reasonable but what should I add to the box welt. I know the Dacron will “pouf” up the cushion - just don’t want them slack. (No piping being added.)
Last edited by Marian on Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
By BigRig
@Marian ,

Wild thistle which is cool. Post your project before hand pictures so we can help.
By Cody
Are you wanting to know how much more including the the seam allowance? I don’t do a lot of furniture, but when I do box cushions, I use the measurement of the cushion and add my seam allowance and that’s it. The dacron unless you’re adding a thick layer doesn’t had much but you want a tight fit to start. Worst case you could add maybe .25” all around, if it’s too loose, go back in and tighten up your stitches. But I feel .5 is too much.
John liked this
By John
When making box cushions I typically take the measurement of the cushion and then only add half of the seam allowance I normally would but sew it together at full seam allowance. This will make a nice tight fitting cover.
miket liked this
By Cody
I agree with @john on this, measure the actual cushion size, sew it tight. Walk away.
John liked this
By John
Looks awesome! I love the color choice.
Welcome to the forum @Marian happy to have you here!

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: