By B1N9S
I am in the process of learning/practicing recovering auto seats.

I am retrimming a pair of Recaros. (some of you have already answered my other thread, thanks)

How do you know which way is best to lay the vinyl to allow for the stretch direction of the fabric ? Is it always laid the way it would be pulled into position, or sometimes, I guess you don't wish it to stretch in that direction ?

Is it just an experience thing, or is there a convention ?

Thanks.
By John Long
Generally with vinyl you want the stretch to go lengthwise. For example, looking at your bolsters on the lower back rest, if the stretch was vertical when you stretched the material lengthwise, it would cause the material to roll around the bolster and help with the puckering. With that particular design, you are going to need all the stretch you can get along with a good snug fit and probably a good dose of steam while you are fitting it. It is a very challenging design to do with only one seam.

John
By BigRig
@John Long , and I thought it was to give the vinyl more play in the rubbing of getting in and out of the auto. Its is good to learn here.
John liked this
By John Long
@BigRig, Check out this video. Be sure and watch it to the end. It gives a good explanation of the theory we are talking about.

John
miket liked this
By Jay
I consider one thing when it comes to stretch direction. Assuming you can do absolute straight stitches. you will then be aligning the cover you made.
The more stretchy, the more it is difficult (near impossible) to align it straightly.

You will have to do a number of trials to see what fits you more so you can then understand the mechanism. I hope I answered your question.
John liked this
By B1N9S
Thanks guys. I had done those bolsters with the stretch laterally John, so the next one, I'll do lengthways and see the difference. I need to work on my piping too :hushed: Because that's not helping those bolsters :grinning: :grinning:

Is steam a really useful tool ? I have read about it, but never tried it. How is it applied, in the bolster scenario ?
John liked this
By John Long
I certainly think it helps but nothing takes the place of skilled patterning and sewing. It will make a good trimmer's work better but it won't make a bad trimmer's work good.

John
John liked this
By B1N9S
Oh, I am realising rapidly, that patterning is an art form and requires serious attention. My very first attempts, I was paying lip service to seam allowance, etc. But, I am learning to do a better job of my patterns and need to take more time actually sewing.

I am struggling to mark BLACK vinyl. I have got some good quality glass marker pencils in white, but I find they go blunt really quickly.

Is there a fine tip silver or white pen that can be used for marking out patterns on black fabric ?
John liked this
By Revv Up
I just buy the soft white stabilos pencils by the box and keep an electric sharpener nearby because a damp rag will wipe off the marks easily. Great if you make a layout mistake and I don’t like flipping a finished product over when done and seeing any marks.
John liked this
By John
Theoretically you want the least amount of stretch in the direction of the seam. However I rarely follow this and lay out my pieces in the most efficient way to create the least amount of fabric waste. If you have good patterns, good alignment marks and good sewing skills it doesnt mater the direction of stretch unless you need the extra stretch to help form to a wired shape.
miket, Revv Up liked this
Boat project

Wow, that's a lot of curves for your first project[…]

When you sew the corners ease the vinyl in as much[…]

Top stitch question

I use a shorter stitch (6mm) when joining panels a[…]

Good information. I'm going to check this foam pl[…]