By Brandonws
https://youtu.be/WciZ1VyvLKM?t=124

I am having trouble with a seat cover. I have completed two successful covers. Both were ruined at the point when I tried the french seems. The stitches "float" due to the thickness of the 1/4 pink sew foam bulking up my cover. I see that the gentlemen in the video is using something else very successfully. His pieces lay well and sew well, he never uses the pink foam. Should I be using this 4mm foam with some sort of material backing in place of sew foam (not sure what he is using here) and forgo the scrim foam? my seat cover is similar to his.

Thanks in advance.
By vicstric
Did you sew a stitch around the edges of the foam after glueing the scrim to the fabric and trim off the edge of the foam before sewing the pieces together? When you trim the edge of the foam, tilt the scissors so you cut as much as possible.
I am not sure what you mean by "float" but getting french seams to look good takes some practice regardless.
By Mikesimpson
After I sew the two pieces together and before I do any of my top stitching I go back and remove my sew foam from the seam allowance area. You have to be very careful when you do it so that you don't get to close to your seam and cut any of the thread. It takes a little more time to do this, but it makes a much nice stitch because it removes a lot of the unneeded bulk from behind it.
John liked this
By IvanD
Mikesimpson wrote:After I sew the two pieces together and before I do any of my top stitching I go back and remove my sew foam from the seam allowance area. You have to be very careful when you do it so that you don't get to close to your seam and cut any of the thread. It takes a little more time to do this, but it makes a much nice stitch because it removes a lot of the unneeded bulk from behind it.
I do the same, but I also "knock" seam before sewing so you don't have to fight it with your fingers.
Here he shows device and how to do it (fast scroll if needed)

I am not a pro, but my seams look great and I don't even use any special feet. Just follow seam line

I have mixed the bobbin colors a lot and it doesn'[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: