By John G
Hi everyone, needing some serious help please. I have a problem with my Singer 211G156

I was winding some bobbins and left a bobbin in the bobbin carrier. Halfway through winding a bobbin the machine started 'knocking'. What appear to have happened is that I've ended up with thread all under the bobbing carrier.

Please see the photo below
IMG_4388_LI.jpg
IMG_4388_LI.jpg (57.78 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
I determined the triangular part of the carrier (yellow arrow) was hitting the fitted hook (red arrow). There was lots of thread under the bobbin carrier that I could see through the two holes on the base of the carrier (blue arrow). I have got some of it out but fear there is still some trapped.

The bobbin release lever is very tight and I think??? I still have thread under the bobbin carrier which is lifting the carrier causing it to hit the hook (red arrow).

I fear I have created a massive problem. I think I need to remove the bobbin carrier to check for trapped thread. Is this possible??? and is it something I can do myself???

First week with the machine so feel pretty stupid and annoyed with myself. Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks
By Adam12
It happens. The "fitted hook" you mention is the "bobbin case opener" and it is supposed to touch the triangular protrusion on the bobbn case. I do think its a good idea to pull it and inspect for thread bits. Here is a parts diagram thats for a similar machine. Go to page 17 to the exploded view of the hook saddle. It will give you an idea how it comes apart. You'll need to remove the hook gib (#33 in the diagram) and the screws are sooo tiny so be super careful not to lose them.
(1003.33 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
Lastly, the other (square) protrusion on the bobbin case MUST be positioned into the recess on the bottom side of your needle plate when you re assemble. When you get back together, be sure to pull your threads on the first few stitches when you start. And raise the feet and un-thread if you are winding a bobbin and not sewing. Good luck!
souperdoo, John liked this
By John G
Hi Adam12,

Firstly thank you for your reply :thumbsup: . I was at my wits-end last night. Everything you have said makes sense. Because the screws on the Hook Gib are very small I have decided to give the machine to a sewing machine tech. He is only an hour away and I don't want to damage the screws etc. I fear they will be tight due to the thread that may have accumulated under the Bobbin Case
The parts list is very helpful and I will keep it for reference. And I can call parts by there right name rather than triangleular thingy :laughing:

Will keep you posted.
By Revv Up
For the future... you can safely wind bobbins while you sew, saves a lot of time.
John liked this
By John G
Revv Up

Yes thank you, Newbie error on my part. Its a huge learning curve, what I always find is its the very basics that sometimes make the difference between success and making hard work of the job. Really enjoy reading posts on this forum... so much high quality work out there.

By the way, dropped off my machine yesterday, the Tech was relaxed with my problem, and hopefully I will get the machine back on Monday.

J
By John
No worries @John G it happens when learning. Thankfully it probably didn't damage the machine. Its fairly easy to remove the bobbin case and remove all the tangled thread.

I have mixed the bobbin colors a lot and it doesn'[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: