By CnC
What should or shouldn't I avoid for a servo motor? Got an older Pfaff 1245 and going to buy a servo for it with NPS.
What type, size, watts blah blah do I need? Beginner here. Prefer to buy one that shipping duty taxes arent going to kill me on
By CnC
Souperdoo already suggested a 750W motor and I found one at a reasonable price that's labelled as 1hp 750w but in the description it states 3/4hp 550w? not sure how that works?
By CnC
I have absolutely OD'd on this topic researching it. After looking at several reviews and researching the death out of the top picks on these servo motors I'm convinced that internet is littered with bored low functioning people who entertain themselves by randomly choosing items for sale and then competing with one another to negatively review them. I find it hard to get a true understanding of the quality to narrow down a choice. Frustrating
John liked this
By souperdoo
CnC wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:04 am I have absolutely OD'd on this topic researching it. After looking at several reviews and researching the death out of the top picks on these servo motors I'm convinced that internet is littered with bored low functioning people who entertain themselves by randomly choosing items for sale and then competing with one another to negatively review them. I find it hard to get a true understanding of the quality to narrow down a choice. Frustrating
Unfortunately, there is a lot of truth in this statement.

This is the motor that I am using, and I'm pretty happy with it. It has the controller that I am used to and that I like, and it comes with a NPS. Coming with a NPS is a convenience; they are all pretty much the same except for the SewQuiet. You can buy an NPS separately if need be.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Eagle-EA-750-Br ... SwLsxbP2fx

This is another safe bet, but you'd need to get a separate NPS. Not an issue; the standard and ubiquitous NPS will be plug 'n play with this controller. Not my favorite controller, but it is tried and true.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Consew-CSM3000- ... Swo4pYJlLJ

Now then, are these the best servo motors in the whole world? No. Are these the servo motors that you would find in a factory? No. Do they work well? Yes. Are they easy to install? Yes. Is there a comprehensive manual that contains everything you ever wanted to know about the servo motor and the controller and its functions? No. Do they cost $500? No. Does the NPS come with everything you will need to install it on your 1245? I think so, but not sure. Sometimes you have to be creative.

Have a look here to see what the ubiquitous NPS comes with and how it would get installed on a JUKI 1541, which is nothing like your 1245 ;^). Perhaps you can tell if you would be able to adapt it to the 1245; it is supposed to be universal.
https://souperdoo.com/stuff%20that%20i% ... -postioner

That article is installing a Consew and I've since moved on to the Eagle. These things are all very similar and the NPS are the same.

I don't know how this shipping to Canada thing works. I looked at ebay.ca and I didn't find anything for a 750w servo that was located in Canada. The two listings I did find say that shipping is included in the price; I guess you'd find out when you put one in your basket and get the final charge.

I also don't know if there are any industrial sewing suppliers with Canadian locations. If there are, that might be a better option because you could call and ask questions and get a professional opinion.

Amazon.ca is another option, but I'm generally not a fan of either Amazon or eBay for these sorts of purchases for the very reasons you note above. I prefer to deal with sewing suppliers directly.

I hope this will help get you started.
Adam12 liked this
By Curtis
I have the SewQuiet mounted on my Pfaff 1245, works pretty well. The NPS does not mount on this sewing machine. It’s advertised at 189.00 us, or 239.00 cdn on Amazon, but ships from the u.s. so you will pay custom fees.
Reliable is out of Toronto and they also sell it on their websites at 239.00. Just order from them and save some fees. Hope this helps..
John liked this
By souperdoo
Curtis wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:00 am I have the SewQuiet mounted on my Pfaff 1245, works pretty well. The NPS does not mount on this sewing machine. It’s advertised at 189.00 us, or 239.00 cdn on Amazon, but ships from the u.s. so you will pay custom fees.
Reliable is out of Toronto and they also sell it on their websites at 239.00. Just order from them and save some fees. Hope this helps..
I am curious about that. Are you saying that it is the SewQuiet NPS that won't mount or that there is no NPS that will mount?

I kinda know the Singer 111W155 and derivatives pretty well and I am fairly well acquainted with the PFAFF early domestics. My familiarity with the PFAFF industrials is rather limited.

I know that the SewQuiet NPS is a bit different than the generic NPS that many motor sellers package with their motors. Those NPS have an adapter that mounts to the handwheel by threading a longer screw into the handwheel shaft. That would be the screw highlighted ib the clipping below from the 1245 parts list.

It may be that the generic NPS doesn't come with a screw that matches the PFAFF screw. If that is the case, I wonder if a screw could be sourced. I tried to figure out what size screw the 11-210 273-15 was but ran into a brick wall.

I'm going to go dig into my spare generic NPS package and see what screws are provided. I know one will be a goofy Singer thread but will report back on what the other one is.
CnC, John liked this
By souperdoo
It looks like the two screws provided are an M8X1.0 (8mm fine thread) and an 11/32"-28.
CnC liked this
By CnC
I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake but I ordered an ENDURO 550W yesterday for $274 Canadian with free shipping. No NPS or fancy gizmos and has a dial for the speed. It seemed to be in the top 2 in a couple reviews with the least amount of negative reviews.
By Curtis
souperdoo wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:06 am
Curtis wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:00 am I have the SewQuiet mounted on my Pfaff 1245, works pretty well. The NPS does not mount on this sewing machine. It’s advertised at 189.00 us, or 239.00 cdn on Amazon, but ships from the u.s. so you will pay custom fees.
I am curious about that. Are you saying that it is the SewQuiet NPS that won't mount or that there is no NPS that will mount?

I kinda know the Singer 111W155 and derivatives pretty well and I am fairly well acquainted with the PFAFF early domestics. My familiarity with the PFAFF industrials is rather limited.

I know that the SewQuiet NPS is a bit different than the generic NPS that many motor sellers package with their motors. Those NPS have an adapter that mounts to the handwheel by threading a longer screw into the handwheel shaft. That would be the screw highlighted ib the clipping below from the 1245 parts list.

It may be that the generic NPS doesn't come with a screw that matches the PFAFF screw. If that is the case, I wonder if a screw could be sourced. I tried to figure out what size screw the 11-210 273-15 was but ran into a brick wall.

I'm going to go dig into my spare generic NPS package and see what screws are provided. I know one will be a goofy Singer thread but will report back on what the other one is.
It is the SewQuiet NPS that won’t work with Pfaff 1245. I’ve contacted Reliable and this is what I was told. I’ve not looked in for a generic but there must be something in the market.
souperdoo liked this
By John Long
I realize CNC has ordered his servo but for others who may read this thread, I am very happy with my My Reliable Sew Quiet Servo. I have had it for 9-10 years and have loved using it.

Being made in Canada would make it a good option for the guys up there, heh. :wink:

John
John liked this
By BigRig
@John, can you look and see if it was made in Canada? Not much really is made here just imported and labeled as such.
By John Long
You are probably right BigRig. My thought was there may be less import duties than buying and shipping it from the States. I do know mine shipped from Canada. Toronto, if I remember correctly.

John Long
By Curtis
@BigRig Your right, they are in Canada but it’s all imported. My SewQuiet has a made in China sticker.
By John
Great advice here from everyone!
@CnC you will be happy with your choice. It will be a big improvement from your clutch motor.

The 2 motors I recommend in the buyers guide are from consew and people are usually happy with them. However I suspect that all the servo motors come from the same factory in china and companies just rebrand them. Most of the different options look identical.
CnC liked this
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: