By ccox
This might sound like a simple question but how do you determine the length your boxing needs to be for a cushion without a zipper. I just want one strip of boxing around the cushion joined in one place. You would think it's just ( Length + Width ) * 2. But that doesn't do it. As soon as I round a corner everything goes to hell in a hand basket. I pull to try to get at least my ending reference marks to line up on each side. but on short 20" sides, it ends up bunching up and looking bad. What's the secret?
By JamesLey
You need to include your seam allowance in the length of your boxing.
I typically make my boxing about 2-3" too long. Begin sewing about 6" from the start of your boxing, and stop about 6" from the end once you've sewn all the way around. Then you can cut the excess off to give you your 1/2" seam allowance. Join the boxing ends and then finish up sewing up the 12" or so that you've not sewn up yet.
Kuph, Adam12, John liked this
By John
Great question! Are you measuring the perimeter of the top piece? You need to account for the seam allowance. For example if your top piece is cut to 12x12 and you are sewing with 1/2" seam allowance you are really making an 11x11 box. Basically if the finished size of the box you want is 12x12. You would Cut the top piece to 13x13 and the boxing would measure out to 12+12+12+12+ 1" seam allowance = 49"

I hope that makes sense.

With a vision to empower and inspire our customers[…]

First Project - Cube Stool

Sleek contemporary furniture combined with a neutr[…]

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]