By Benny8
Hi everyone. New to the forum and new to auto upholstery. I recently purchased a 1972 Chevy Nova that needs full resto including seat upholstery, door panels and headliner. I found someone selling a Singer 211 with reverse and table and clutch motor. They also have a Consew 226 with reverse, table and motor. Which one would be the best for a beginner? Thank you for your time.
By Kuph
Both are great machines. Does the 226 come with a servo motor? I could be wrong but I believe the 226 is very similar and may even be able to share parts with the juki 562 (which is extremely popular ) I’m always looking for a 226 to do a juki 563 bobbin conversion on. I have a old 211g156 that I use once in a while. Honestly when connected to a servo motor I can’t tell a difference between the 211 and any other machine. I would go with whichever one has less wear and/or larger bobbin (not sure of specifications but I believe they are the same) . Look at the paint on the base. Can’t go wrong either way. All these machines are more or less similar. Good luck (the 226 may have better parts availability)
Adam12, John liked this
By Adam12
Either machine would suit you well and when equipped with a servo, ease of use would be the same. All things being equal, i would go with the 211(assuming its a 156 sub class). It should have a bigger bobbin and higher foot lift but sew on both, see which one speaks to you. If the 226 is in clearly better shape go for it, its a good machine too but the small bobbin is the reason ours stays tucked away in the back room.
Kuph liked this
By John
Both machines will work great for you. I recent picked up a 226 on a deal I couldn't pass up. Its an awesome machine i really like it. I highly suggest getting a servo motor. That will make it much easier for you to learn on.
By Benny8
John wrote:Both machines will work great for you. I recent picked up a 226 on a deal I couldn't pass up. Its an awesome machine i really like it. I highly suggest getting a servo motor. That will make it much easier for you to learn on.
They both ended up selling. My wife and I decided to just buy a new NC1 thru the Lucky Needle. Looking forward to getting started on some projects.
John liked this
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: