By bajintas
Hi, just started to learn welting (piping) using Johns course videos and having problems with what looks like tension (see photos).
The thread tension of the machine seems to be good with normal sewing, but it goes a bit weird with the welting.
I’m wondering if the problem is with machine tension or am I pushing/pulling too much?

Bob
By John
Most likely when you are sewing the welt wrap on you are pulling it too much causing it to stretch. So what is happening is the welt wrapping is trying return to its natural relaxed position causing the other 2 pieces to get wavy because they are fighting each other. This is a very common mistake because when you pull the welt wrapping a bit it really folds over nicely and makes it easy to sew. I still even sometimes make this mistake.

Try to do it again being careful to just fold the welt wrapping and not pull it. Usually when this happens on a project you can fix it by steaming the seam and pulling a little tension on it. However its important when your learning these basic building block skills to not use tricks like steam until you really need to. It will make you a much better trimmer if you spend extra time now perfecting the basics.

Let us know how it goes!
MalcolmM liked this
By bajintas
Thanks John, I had another go trying not to push/pull too much and it was better. But then I cheated a bit and used staples to hold it which worked great. Not sure it is cheating though. Just another tool to use
John liked this
By BigRig
@bajintas I will sometimes use little clips, its just a way to keep the cut pieces in check and to slow me down a bit. I tend to get going to fast and that when the work gets sloppy.
John liked this
By John
@bajintas Hey I'm really glad that helped!
Staples aren't cheating. Lots of people use that trick. I just try to teach without using them because if someone ever wants do upholstery professionally its much faster to go with out staples .
But if it helps you by all means go for it!
Boat project

So this winter I decided to redue my boat interior[…]

I’m not sure what you are using on the edge […]

Top stitch question

I use a shorter stitch (6mm) when joining panels a[…]

Good information. I'm going to check this foam pl[…]