By Ellitigg
Hi all,
A family member asked me to re-make a sprung cushion for a small chair that she's had all her life. I have some experience upholstering furniture with integral springs but have not done sprung cushions before. The original cushion had 2 layers of springs (4" ish X 2) sandwiched together with a thin metal rod around the top and bottom edges. I have some 8" double cone springs so my question is, if I use fabrics to make pockets for the large springs and tie them together, obviously with wadding and a Calico cover, will that work? I'm concerned that I will get lots of lateral movement with the springs not being attached to the chair.
Any insights gratefully received!
Many thanks, Elli
By BigRig
Hi Elli,

We may have all read your post and most of us are automotive, marine or other cool things. I am going to tag @kl4bidn she is a furniture upholsterer as well as automotive.
Revv Up liked this
By John
@Ellitigg Sorry I dont have much experience with furniture. Hopefully someone on here will. I would probably just try to replicate the original.
By kl4bidn
Hello! Thanks for tagging me @BigRig because I have been out of the loop for a while.

In my experience customers prefer comfort and those sprung cushions always feel like you are sitting on springs. I usually replace them with solid foam with a dacron wrap. My customers are always happy when they sit down. You can measure the cushion cover band for the size and add 1" plus the dacron wrap to achieve the sprung cushion crown. standard 8" springs will not work. if you post a photo of the unit I can tell you if they are reusable or tell tell you what to order. you will have to wrap and sew unit in burlap, wrap with layers and layers of cotton and preferable have a cushion stuffer machine to insert them into the cover without rolling to cotton up causing bumps and hard spots. the foam cushion you can put in a sheet of plastic and suck the air out with a shop vac, insert in the cover, turn off the vacuum, and carefully remove the plastic. If it would be easier you can call me at 518-469-2745. I'm always happy to help where I can. -Karyl-Lynn
John liked this
By Ellitigg
Hi all, sorry for the late reply, I didn't realise anyone had responded! I really appreciate the input.

@kl4bidn thanks for taking the time to reply. The original units are awfully warped so I'll definitely need to remake them. I was hoping to use the springs as it's more in keeping with what they already had. I have seen tutorials use sections of 4" pocket springs, 2 on top of each other. Would that be better than 8" springs? I'm not exactly sure what the difference is, maybe stability?

Thanks again! Elli
John liked this

With a vision to empower and inspire our customers[…]

First Project - Cube Stool

Sleek contemporary furniture combined with a neutr[…]

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]