By Txc500
Hi there,

I wanted a paddle arm furniture set and found one locally but it needs more work than I thought.

The cushions are old and I'm not sure what they're made of but they are dense feeling and very HEAVY! I think they need to go because there are no zippers to get covers off for cleaning, and I just can't imagine what they're made of!

Also, the frame is loose and needs gluing. Do I need to remove this spring grid pictured to get the chair apart? What is this type of spring / suspension called?

Thank you for any advice.
Tom
By vicstric
Replacing the cushions should not be a big problem. Sailrite has some good videos on sewing cushions. Take lots of pics and take you time. Putting in a zipper isn't hard but needs to be planned for. The zipper panel would be the first thinkg to get sewn up if it was me doing the job. Again, Salirite has some vids on just zippers. Make a plan of how you are going to sew it all together before you start.

On the loose frame, depending on what is loose you may not have to take much apart. Those decorative wooden plugs probably have screws under them. Just pop them off with a thin screwdriver or putty knife. If you have to take things apart further than that just take pics and think through what need to be remove to get to your problem.

I am not sure what the spring grid is called. But i think at minumum i would stretch smoe new burlap over it.

Take you time. You will be surprised on how good it will look when done. post pics!
John liked this
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: