What leather or vinyl should I use to reupholster armrests, allowing them to remain pliable, while still having a soft smooth feel?

When I upholster with a soft fake-leather that has 2-way stretch, they end up getting much more firm / less pliable.
Do I need a 4-way or 360/4-way stretch fake-leather? Any recommendations?

Or is real leather a better choice? Any recommendations of type/kind/thickness/etc?

Some background:

A few months ago I redid the armrests on my desk chair using 1inch of close-cell foam (polyvinyl nitrile; density 3-4.5 lbs/cu.ft) covered with Ultrafabrics Brisa (polyurethane fabric; very soft, fake-leather type fabric, 2-way stretch). The foam has already flattened in places where I lean on it.

This time, I'm using two layers of cast silicone: 0.25inch of durometer OO-50 silicone as a base layer, and then 0.25inch of durometer OO-30 silicone on top.

With the Brisa fabric just lying on top of the silicone, the armrest still feels pliable (still measures durometer OO-30). However, when I actually upholster it, stretching and stapling the fabric, then the measured durometer goes up to almost OO-70. I've tried heating the fabric, but that doesn't change anything.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Thanks for the reply, Frank

What's the thinnest/softest that is reasonable to use in a chair armrest, that won't get ruined easily from use?

I got some Lambskin (1.5oz; soft temper; smooth texture; semi-gloss finish) to try out. Not sure if this will be too thin and will get deformed or worn from regular use.

Also not sure if it's aniline or semi-aniline. I think I'd want semi-aniline, so it's a bit more wear resistant and lower maintenance?
John liked this
Hi, I am from Australia. Leather is tougher than other upholstery materials and much easier to clean when you have pets and children. Unfortunately, it's also vulnerable to punctures, scratches and cracking, along with slices and fading. Much of the damage is easy to avoid if you condition your leather chair regularly and take steps to avoid harsh environments. But accidents happen. When they do, a few simple tactics will save your leather and leave it looking like nothing ever happened at all.
Re-evaluate the foam surface you are using and in regards to the covering it is not going to matter what you use two way, four way or leather the salts and waste from your arms sweat glands are going to perforate that material and harden it up. A good person here to validate that would be @Michelle_Trillium . The massage tables are just giant arm rests make sure you are using a coated vinyl if using vinyl.
In my experience with vinyl, it's best to use warm water with a mild soap or an actual vinyl cleaner, vinyl will crack and flake if exposed to UV, salts or harsh cleaners. High rub count marine vinyl is best for high traffic surfaces like armrests but it isn't the softest or most pliable. Not sure if it comes in 4-way stretch.
Mark M, John liked this
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: